ex2003: "The picture is too large and will be truncated" error

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Discussion' started by Marc Kupper, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. Marc Kupper

    Marc Kupper Guest

    >From time to time Excel will get into a mode where when I do a cut or
    copy it pops up a box titled "Microsoft Excel" that says "The
    picture is too large and will be truncated."

    For example, right now if I start up Excel it defaults to a blank
    worksheet for "Book1." I click on the "A" column to select it, CTRL-C
    to copy, and the error box pops up. I click [Ok] and it pops up a
    second time.

    Again on this blank brand new sheet if I select cells A1 to A74 (one
    column, 74 cells), I can do the CRTL-C (or Edit / Copy) and there's no
    pop-up. If I changed the selection to end at A75 (75 cells) I get the
    pop-up.

    In the horizontal direction I get the same issue if I have 19 or more
    cells selected. Thus I can select an 18 column by 74 row region
    without a pop-up but as soon as I have more than 18 columns or 74 rows
    I get the pop-up.

    Copy/pasting on the test sheet seems to work regardless of the error
    but I don't want to chance that on my real data.

    I'm aware of http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318265 but I'm not
    trying to copy as a picture. As a test I held the shift key down,
    clicked on "Edit" and see that I'm offered "Copy Picture..."
    rather than the usual "Copy Ctrl-C" and further with the shift key
    down and selecting "Copy Picture..." Excel pops up a Copy Picture
    dialog box and in fact seems happy with creating a 1000 row by 26
    column "Picture" though on pasting it turned out I got a 72 row by
    19 column image. I really don't care that the picture did not have
    all of my data as I've never used that option.

    This happens a couple of times a year to me. In the past I had been
    able to fix it by shutting down Excel and restarting it but this time
    Excel seems determined to stay in this mode and even a reboot did not
    help.

    Marc

    Marc Kupper, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Marc Kupper

    Marc Kupper Guest

    Marc Kupper wrote:
    > >From time to time Excel will get into a mode where when I do a cut or

    > copy it pops up a box titled "Microsoft Excel" that says "The
    > picture is too large and will be truncated."

    As a follow-up on this - the problem went away. The only thing I can
    think of that may have been a "fix" is that towards the end of testing
    I tried to copy/paste a huge spreadsheet. Excel locked up CPU bound and
    rather than wait it out to see if it would recover I end-tasked the
    thing and moved on to other tasks. I came back to the office, fired up
    one of my standard Excel workbooks to do something and decided to see
    if select-column-copy would work. It did and so I brought up the other
    book where I had wanted to move an entire column, and was able to move
    it without a complaint from Excel.

    All I can guess is that there's an uninitialized variable bug somewhere
    in Excel and from time to time the bits will line up in such a way that
    I get the error.

    Marc

    Marc Kupper, Oct 13, 2006