    was the only font available) but everything else is still in Wingdings. I
    removed the memory and tried again but it made no difference!
    I'm getting very desperate!

    Guest, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Lorna Pye wrote:
    > HELP! I inserted some more memory into my PC today and when I switched it
    > back on everything is written in Wingdings! The start menu, the icons,
    > everything!!! I managed to change the list in start up back to System (this
    > was the only font available) but everything else is still in Wingdings. I
    > removed the memory and tried again but it made no difference!
    > I'm getting very desperate!

    Ah...a fantastic mystery....
    If you have "system" fonts, is this sufficient to get into
    control panel | fonts and reinstall your fonts? Look for the
    fonts in windows | fonts. Select them all and reinstall. It
    would seem that the new memory install scrambled the
    registry. Hard to image how your fonts were actually deleted.
    Your other choices, if you can use them, are to backup your
    data and use the Win Install CD to recover your system,
    which might require a whole wipe of the HDD including
    applications. A lucky alternative is to access System
    Restore, but if wingdings is the available font...good luck.
    Upon bootup,hold down F8 and select "return to last known
    good setting," or boot into safe mode and get into system
    restore (get into HELP and search "system restore" (sorry I
    am on win98 machine right now or I'd give you the direct
    connect).
    You might create a "translation table" for wingdings (type
    "a" and note the symbol, type "b" and note the symbol,
    etc.), thus allowing you to get into windows explorer and
    what ever else to make tweaks.
    Report back, please.

    User Friendly, Sep 23, 2006

    Hi,
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately nothing work so I took the whole thing
    to the shop where I bought the memory from and got them to look at it. They
    believe the memory I bought was faulty and it had corrupted Windows! So I now
    have a working PC but with no data, files or programmes on it! Great! Well,
    here we go, starting from scratch!
    Thanks anyway
    Lorna

    Guest, Sep 25, 2006

    John John Guest

    The computer shop installed Windows without telling you or offering to
    salvage/save your data? Don't bring you computer back to that shop!
    They're not worth 2 cents in my books, I'm 99.99% sure that ALL your
    data could have been very easily recovered!

    John

    John John, Sep 25, 2006