Error when trying to install xp professional

Reaction score
Hi guys im having issues trying to install xp professional onto a laptop i just bought.

Its a Dell Lattitude D630. It has windows 7 on it and runs without any problems.
I'm wanting to install Xp onto this laptop for using with work.But when i try to install i get this error: stop: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

And it wont go any further, i have a same model laptop as this but think its older and i can install no problems, but when i swap the hdd over to this one the operating system will run but the fans run constant and then graphics start going glitchy.

Is there anything i can do do fix this problem as the type of work i do the programs wont run using windows 7 thanks

Reaction score
thanks for the link i had already had a look previous, ive installed xp on other dell d630 and updated fully but still having issues with fans running constant, i think this is software issue as theres no issues when other hdd with win7 is installed, although with vista same issue with fans running constant.

Reaction score
Try disabling UltraDMA for the CD-ROM/CDRW, sometimes this can cause read issues with you XP CD. You could also try a RAM check.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
You probably need to disable UEFI in the BIOS and return it to a standard BIOS configuration. New machines have a BIOS that cannot be recognized by XP during installation. It's like the SATA thing when it first came out. Had to make stupid F6 driver disks.

Reaction score
i ment to post a fix on this issue. i installed an xp version on another d630 i had then the issue with fans running constant was down to a graphics driver problem , downloaded the correct one and soon as installed the fans stopped and only ran when needed, thanks for help anyway :)

Ask a Question