    Scarborough
    North Yorkshire
    England

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    Just to add to my last message. I am running XP with all updates in place.
    --
    Paul Yeoman
    Scarborough

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    Hello paul,

    Do you have installed Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435)
    ?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    Hi Engel

    I actually uninstalled the undermentioned installer, and on reboot, it was
    reloaded as part of the update routine. I thought that this may be where the
    problem was, but no joy.
    --
    Paul Yeoman
    Scarborough

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    Hi Paul,

    I hope you try to install the 32-bit version is for the 99% of the users is
    named Windows Defender.msi

    The X64 is the 64bit installer - unless you have the 64bit XP Pro (which most
    do not have) you will wªnt "WindowsDefender.msi"

    Download this one:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d is the 32 bit version (x86)

    For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

    I hope this post is helpful.

    Let us know how it works ºut.

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    Sorry to Disappoint Engel, but the version I downloaded was:
    WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86, which is the version required.

    I did try and load other *.msi programs and these would install with no
    problem, so it looks like a problem with 'WD' :-(

    --
    Paul Yeoman
    Scarborough

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006

    I'd recommend re-downloading, and saving to a known location--like the
    desktop.
    After the download is complete, disable real-time protection by your
    antivirus for long enough to do the installation. please disable or turn off
    as much other software that always runs as you can--real time antivirus
    scanning, any other antispyware software, (Stop all programs that are open in
    the bottom taskbar) etc.

    Guest, Jul 15, 2006
  8. enable MSI installer logging with options "VOICEWARMUP" from the following
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300.

    --
    -steve

    Steve Dodson [MSFT]