Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042301

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 File System' started by Eric Higby, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. Eric Higby

    Eric Higby Guest

    Operating System is Windows XP

    When I try to do a Backup using the Windows XP Backup, I get this
    error:

    Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "Backup.bkf created 11/7/2003 at 2:07 PM"

    Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042301
    Aborting Backup.

    ----------------------

    The operation did not successfully complete.

    ----------------------

    This was working until recently.

    both COM+ servieces are set to manual as they should be.
    Volume Shadow Copy is Set to Manual
    MS Software Shadow copy provider is set to manual

    There is 35 gigs aviable on my primary drive, that i am trying to do
    that backup from

    Eric Higby, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Eric,

    This issue normally occurs if you're using a FAT32 volume. Volume Shadow
    Copy feature only supports NTFS volumes. If you enable this option, the
    backup process will fail since FAT32 doesn't support the feature and
    couldn't backup the files that are in the process of being written to.

    Steps to disable Volume Shadow Copy if you're using a FAT32 volume:

    1. Click Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup.

    2. Click the Advanced Mode link and select Backup Wizard.

    3. Click Next and select Back up selected files, drivers, or network data.

    4. Click Next and only select some files for testing propose.

    5. Click Next and choose Desktop to store the backup file.

    6. Click Next and click the Advanced button.

    7. Select Normal backup and click Next.

    8. Check the Disable volume shadow copy option and click Next.

    9. Finish the backup wizard to backup the files.

    If you're using an NTFS volume, try the steps listed below:

    Open Regedt32.exe and navigate to the following key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\setup

    Change the "UpgradeInProgress" value to 0.

    Jeff Patterson
    Microsoft Support

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.

    Jeff Patterson [MSFT], Nov 7, 2003

  3. Eric Higby

    Eric Higby Guest

    Jeff, All my drives are NTFS and the Registry key is already there.

    Still have the problem.. If you have any more ideas, they would
    grreatly be appreciated.

    Eric Higby, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Hi Eric,

    There are at least two possible causes for this problem:

    1) The COM+ Event System service is disabled (open services.msc and,
    if this is the case, re-enable this service). This service should be
    enabled by default.

    2) The Windows Setup encountered a problem. Just run "REG.EXE QUERY
    HKLM\System\Setup". If any of the
    SystemSetupInProgress/UpgradeInProgress is different than zero, then
    you will get this message. To fix this issue in this case, please run
    the following commands:

    REG ADD HKLM\system\setup /v SystemSetupInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    /f
    REG ADD HKLM\system\setup /v UpgradeInProgress /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

    Please let me know if the problem cannot be fixed with the steps
    above.

    Thanks, Adi

    P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers

    Adi Oltean [MSFT], Nov 24, 2003
  5. Eric Higby

    TrojanJeff Guest

    I have done all of this, yet still have a problem...any thoughts?

    Is there a windows update for shadow copy that would have an affect?

    --
    TrojanJeff

    TrojanJeff, Aug 25, 2004
  6. Eric Higby

    Thierrybut Guest

    You are not the only one experiencing this problem, it has only recentl
    just started, I have been able to backup in the past but with th
    downloads from Microsoft something has happened to this facility

    -
    Thierrybu

    Thierrybut, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Eric Higby

    billystorm Guest

    ya know what's really funny, yet scary at the same time?

    1. people depend on windoze operating systems.
    2. microsloth 'techs' are some of the dumbest people i've ever com
    into contact with.
    3. data-loss is more prevalent now than ever before.
    4. any o/s wot spends more of its time creating 'restore-points'
    crashing in the background, needing 'service-packs' an
    'security-updates' every other day, can't POSSIBLY be reliable O
    stable. and they knew it from the git-go or there wouldn't have bee
    the need for all that crap.

    but anyhoo, and all that aside;

    if you want your backup to work in EX-PEE, you'll needa do this;

    goto 'services' - make both COM+ services, and the 'volume-shadow-copy
    AUTOMATIC.

    now go do yer backup...

    all that stuff about vsc being on, or not being on, and the issue
    concerning NTFS/FAT32 is a huge truckload of manure. when you do you
    backup, if - system=fat32, vsc will turn itself off. so don't worr
    about it. you aint gotta go change a buncha stuff or anything.

    also; if yer like me, and you don't want all that CRAP running all th
    time, and would rather keep com+ outta yer face, then you can g
    disable it after you've done yer backup.

    i run EX-PEE on one system out of necessity. so i can rip it to shred
    and then fix it myself. i never pay any attention to anything anyon
    else says. especially microsloth. because their goal is to open you
    o/s up WIDE-OPEN on the premise that it's easier for them to get in an
    'help'.

    funniest thing is tho; every any of these off-the-street techs 'help
    somebody, they end up with much worse problems than they had to star
    with.

    oh and by the way; (my personal opinion)
    i hate NTFS. and i know there are gonna be people who're gonna say i'
    wrong, and it's more stable, and blah blah blah. but i've prove
    otherwise.

    i can't afford data loss (which is inevitable at some point in tim
    with windows, especially ntfs). therefore, if i can't use fat3
    (something i can get into from DOS unless it's a mac), then i don'
    want it.

    so anyway; next time windoze crashes, and you lose everything. jus
    remember... if it was fat32, you coulda booted with a floppy. even
    95/98/ME floppy, and retrieved yer data. and more than likely fix th
    problem wot caused the crash. try doin that with NTFS..

    -
    billystor

    billystorm, Sep 18, 2004
  8. Eric Higby

    fam124 Guest

    Hi all :)

    I tried everything previously listed here to fix this problem bu
    nothing worked.

    Out of desperation I did a search at sensis.com.au after all the lead
    from google were useless and it led me to this sit
    http://www.byfai.com/backupvss.php

    By running regsvr32ole32.dll I was able to start the COM+ Syste
    Application in Services.msc and MS Backup worked again.

    Give it a go.

    cya

    Fran

    -