Error: "only part of read process memory or write process memory"

G

Help Please!
When I log in to XP I have about twenty seconds to run an executible program before XP stops working. The error I receive when I try to run a program after this short time frame is:

"only part of read process memory or write process memory request completed"
My problem now is that I can not run any .exe files at all using my primary/original windows xp installation.

This error started occuring after I rebooted the machine after I ran a spyware removal program, so it may be related to programs that were removed - or it could be because of a virus that was downloaded after the previous reboot several days prior.

I have tried to fix this by - a) booting in safe mode (didn't help), removing some startup programs and services to isolate the problem (not only didn't help but completely screwed up xp so I couldn't even log on to xp, as I removed to many vital services from the list) So I created a new problem (not even being able to log on and being stuck in safemode) which took me days to fix.I "fixed this" by installing a new version of xp in a separate windows directory (I'll call it WindowsXPII from now on). this is the only way i could get back on to the computer, as i could not repair (or access) the original install of XP due to the fact I was stuck in safe mode.

So now Using WindowsXPII I can log on, run executibles and also was able to modify the boot.ini file to load the original windows XP again and take it out of perpetual safe mode. I am now able to log back on to my original XP version, but have the same error that I started with - only now I have two versions of windows on the machine on the same partition, which I know is not good...

However, I do not receive the "read process memory" error in the newly installed WindowsXPII. I only have this error running executibles when i log on to the original windows xp.

So I can get back on to the original windows XP but I can't figure out what the problem is - I am assuming that something is loading incorrectly - or a virus is - within the first 20 seconds of logging on - but I don't know what - and I can't run system information to figure it out. I can run regedit or msconfig if i am fast and load it in the first 20 seconds or so... but nothing I have tried so far has fixed the problem - and I don't want to compound the problem by messing with the registry.

Again, I can run windowsxpII with no problems (so i don't think it is a hardware issue) and can modify my other corrupted version of XP by booting up with the working versio nof XP, but have no idea where to go from there. I am a complete XP novice and need expert help. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and advice - please let me know if you have any ideas at all other than "reinstall windows xp and wipe out your hard drive" which is the advice dell gave to me... and is a last resort as I don't want to lose all of my files.

I am at (e-mail address removed)
remove the nospam_ part!

G

Hi,
I would suggest opening your original version of xp in safe mode. Go to 'Programs' 'accessories' 'System tools' 'System Restore' and restore your system to a point before you started having all of the problems.
Hope this helps.

Ask a Question