    When I try to download the latest defination for Windows Defender I receive
    an error code 0x80040154. What do I need to know about this and what do I
    need to do to correct this problem?

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007

    Hello George,

    Please try my solution applicate here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...7031&mid=ff4f2e7d-ce9e-4c19-94cc-c802004e7031

    I hope this post is helpful, but we would highly appreciate it if you could
    rate the pºst, so we can keep the community informed and saves somebody else
    the hours of trawling through the web trying to find a solution.

    Еиçеl
    --

    SIN
    Few serve Satan better than sleeping saints.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007

    Hello Engel. I read your link, and ried to locate the file Eventvwr.msc. I
    did a search of my harddrive, and this must be a Windows XP file as I could
    not locate such a file in Vista premium. Here is the data I have on my
    Windows Defender version if this will help
    Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1505.0
    Engine Version: 1.1.2503.0
    Definition Version: 1.18.2533.5

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007

    Hi George,

    Make a Restore Point.

    Get Dial-a-Fix,

    http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

    Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-a-fix
    Direct download: Dial-a-fix v0.60.0.24 (2006-10-27)
    File type: .zip archive, containing Dial-a-fix.exe and secedit.exe (for
    Repair permissions purposes)
    Size: 335,992 bytes
    MD5sum: 2c23c77cc3ec0ce7206e66d48e7adfae

    Run this program with all the functions activated.

    Reboot.

    Can you go to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority
    updates), and apply all offered updates

    http://update.microsoft.com

    The update for WD should be there.

    NOTE For the Event Viewer

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1bcadb98-7479-4fad-82dd-7f30a80dfa4f1033.mspx

    The update for WD should be there.

    Let us know how this turns out?

    Еиçеl
    --

    VALUE
    It is no good hen, that cackles in your house and lays in anothers.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007

    I downloaded the dial-a-fix and extracted the files, but it not operable
    under windows vista. What now?

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007

    Try this, right click and select Run as an Admistraitor.
    --

    HANGING
    The thief is sorry he is to be hanged, not that he is a thief.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007

    Hi George,

    The error code 0x80040154 can occur if the Internet Explorer cache has been
    corrupted, the XML components have not been registered properly, or the
    Windows Update temporary folder has been corrupted.

    Version: 1.18.2533.5 was issue May 4. Are you was able tu get the Windows
    Updates on May 9 ??

    If you get the Windows Updates that date, you can use the System restore
    point and go back to that date or the next SRP after the 9th. And update WD,
    you don't loose any personal data.

    Good night.
    --

    REVOLUTION
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.

    Guest, Jun 4, 2007
  8. George, I don't know the answer yet, but lets see if we can move forward.

    You can get the latest definitions for your version of Vista from:

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal

    Check the right hand column. You'll need to know whether you are running
    the 64 bit version of Vista or the 32-bit. If you are uncertain of this
    answer, choose the 32-bit definitions. This will be correct even if you
    know that you are using a machine with a 64-bit processor. (In this case,
    the bittedness refers to the OS that is running, rather than the processor.
    64 bit processors can run the 32-bit versions of Windows without any speed
    penalty, and most of them are, in fact, doing so._

    Let's see if that gets your definitions up to date. Once that is the case,
    you could also re-try the update operation, just to see whether anything has
    changed.

    When you get the error message--how is the update being obtained? Through
    Help, check for updates, in Windows Defender, or via Windows Update ?

    The Event Viewer is probably most easily reached in Vista by hitting the
    Start button, and typing "event viewer" without the quotes, into the search
    box. On my Vista machine, that brings in one result up at the top, which
    when clicked, starts the Event Viewer, after a UAC alert, and some
    significant effort. Typing eventvwr.msc in that same search box also works.

    All that said, I'm not sure what to look for. In XP, I'd look in the system
    event log, going back to the time the error ocurred, and look for a log
    record related to that error. If you can find sucn a log record, it would
    be interesting to see what the content is--you can copy and paste back to
    this forum.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Jun 4, 2007