Error Message: Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 MSI' started by fjg, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. fjg

    fjg Guest

    I have written a batch file to run at client startup to delete an old
    program and add the new version:

    @ECHO ON
    :: INITIALIZE GLOBAL VARIABLES
    CALL setup/initVariables

    :: SILENT UNINSTALLATION FOR PREVIOUS VERSION
    CALL setup/silentUninstall

    :: SILENT INSTALLATION
    CALL setup/silentInstall
    PAUSE

    When running the batch file everything executes except the the silent
    install at the end. I keep getting the message: Please go to the
    Control Panel to install and configure system components.

    As you can see I divided up the uninstallation and installation process
    into 2 seperate batch files. I can run both of these batch files
    individually without any problem, however I cannot run them from a
    single batch file (from the code above).

    I am logged in as the admin so I am sure this shouldn't be a file
    permission or security issue. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

    fjg, Apr 23, 2005

  2. fjg

    Phil Wilson Guest

    This is sometimes caused by an registry entry in:
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths/setup.exe
    that ends up initiating setup.exe in Windows\System32. The setup.exe there
    displays that message. Delete that registry entry. If only everyone stopped
    calling their programs setup!
    --
    Phil Wilson
    [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

    Phil Wilson, Apr 24, 2005

  3. fjg

    fjg Guest

    Thanks for the help, but unfortunately that solution didn't work. In
    fact the setup file is called 'setupWin32.exe'. I even renamed it to
    something crazy like '271setupWin32ABC.exe' and still no luck.

    Currently, the only solution I have is to merge all the batch files
    into a single one, but that destroys the reuseablity factor.

    Any and all ideas are welcomed!

    fjg, Apr 24, 2005
  4. fjg

    ATLANTES

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am guessing from your code snippet that "setup" is the name of a folder that contains other batch files called initVariables, silentUninstall, and silentInstall.

    Windows is not recognizing "setup" as a folder name and so is executing the setup.exe that it finds in your system path (i.e. the one in your system32 folder).

    First, you need to use a backslash instead of a forward slash between the folder name and the called batch file (i.e. use CALL setup\initVariables instead of CALL setup/initVariables)

    Next, it is always good practice to qualify sub-folder names so that the system does not mistake them for file names. For example:
    CALL .\setup\initVariables

    ATLANTES, Jun 29, 2007
  5. fjg

    Feliks

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    "This is sometimes caused by an registry entry in:
    HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths/setup.exe
    that ends up initiating setup.exe in Windows\System32. The setup.exe there
    displays that message. Delete that registry entry. If only everyone stopped
    calling their programs setup!"

    This method may have not worked for the other guy but it definitely got my Symantec Endpoint Antivirus going! Thanks!

    Feliks, Mar 2, 2009