Error Message "Error Loading C:\Windows\System32\csgina.dll"

I recently purchased a laptop that came with Windows Vista. While trying to
install VPN Client (the first program I have installed on the laptop), I
received an error message "Error Loading C:\Windows\System32\csgina.dll".
Does anyone know how I can solve this problem? Thank you in advance.

Vista User

What version of Vista? Home? Business? etc.
Is this the built in VPN or a Cisco, Nortel, etc.

Windows Vista Home Premium - - Cisco VPN Client.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Vista User

You will have to go to the Cisco site and see if they have a Vista version
of the VPN client.
Sorry but I don't use the Cisco client so I'm not sure if they have updated
it yet. I don't think the old client would run on Vista.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Correct, they should have a newer version of the client.
Gina is no longer an option with Windows Vista.
See this article for more information on the changes to Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925520

or

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: "Vista User" <[email protected]>
|> Subject: Re: Error Message "Error Loading C:\Windows\System32\csgina.dll"
|> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:15:16 -0700
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> You will have to go to the Cisco site and see if they have a Vista
version
|> of the VPN client.
|> Sorry but I don't use the Cisco client so I'm not sure if they have
updated
|> it yet. I don't think the old client would run on Vista.

|> > Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi Darrell,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I encountered this same error and I
was installing cisco vpn client 3.5.1 as it was the version I had.
Unfortunately I did not check if this version was compatible. However since I
did this my entire computer is next to useless.

The Cisco vpn client began the install which then failed (but marked as
completed).
When I tried to use any internet based application it fails to load
page/communicate (firefox, IE, skype, pidgin, putty, etc)
upon exiting the program I get a hard crash (asking to debug or close).

I then tried uninstalling the client and it failed to uninstall.
All internet based applications still fail however there are a couple
things that still work which indicates there is some sort of driver that some
applications ignore. here is the list of working applicaitons:
telnet (can go to port 80 & get a page)
windows update - my computer is still updating
Firefox Minefield x64 beta build 1 (but not build 9 - latest).

I have tried manually uninstalling/deleting any registry keys or drivers as
per the follwoing url's recommendations however half the files didn't exist
and the problem was not resolved in any way.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn3K_uninstall.html
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2077694&SiteID=17

I believe it attempted to install a driver at one of the OSI layers (most
likely a SSL driver of some sort from my understanding of how the client
works) however since the install failed there was no driver file and now it
is stuck in some state where anything that uses this driver crashes.

Please let me know if there is any other suggestions. At this point my only
option appears to be to reinstall windows which seems overkill. I also tried
using the follwoing versions of cisco client however I cannot begin the
install I was hoping they would cleanup the mess made by the 3.5.1 installer.

Cisco VPN Client 5.0.00.0090 BETA
vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.01.0600-k9.exe
vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.00.0340-k9.exe

Charlie Tame

Justin said:
Hi Darrell,

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I encountered this same error and I
was installing cisco vpn client 3.5.1 as it was the version I had.
Unfortunately I did not check if this version was compatible. However since I
did this my entire computer is next to useless.

See if this gives a clue, I don't know but when I installed a couple of
cards the "Driver" substituted some other "Gina" and all hell broke
loose. If it's hosed anyway then anything is worth a look at...

There is a program somewhere to fix MSGINA which I guess you might find
some info in, I don't think MSGINA likes being interfered with.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

I tried running this utility all it said is default gina in use
dll in use: msgina.dll (standard)

vista x64 doesn't have the gina driver at all so it looks like it didn't
know how to handle it.

Thanks for the tip though.