ERROR "insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Karen, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Got this error message when I booted up this morning.

    "...insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"

    I just closed the window and didn't have any problems.
    Then the error message appeared again this evening when I
    opened McAfee. Again, I just closed the error window
    without any ill effects.

    This is the first time I've seen the message since I got
    this computer - about three months ago. I haven't
    installed any software or hardware recently that might
    have resulted in configuration changes.

    Any idea what is going on? Any more info needed to
    diagnose the problem?

    Karen

    Karen, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Karen wrote:
    > Got this error message when I booted up this morning.
    >
    > "...insert a disk into drive\device\Harddisk1\DR1"
    >
    > I just closed the window and didn't have any problems.
    > Then the error message appeared again this evening when I
    > opened McAfee. Again, I just closed the error window
    > without any ill effects.
    >
    > This is the first time I've seen the message since I got
    > this computer - about three months ago. I haven't
    > installed any software or hardware recently that might
    > have resulted in configuration changes.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on? Any more info needed to
    > diagnose the problem?

    Karen

    What was the first part of the message? This should identify the program
    that created the error message.

    Go to Start/Run and type: eventvwr.msc and press OK. In the Event
    Viewer, click on Application in the left window and look for any "X" error
    messages that coincide with the time you saw these error messages. Double
    click the error to see the details. On the right side of the details dialog
    box, there is a small icon that looks like 2 pages of text, click this to
    copy the details and paste this back here in a reply to this message.

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Karen

    AnonnyMoose Guest

    Ronnie,

    The message didn't appear this morning when I turned on the computer, and
    from what I recall there was no associated program identified in the
    messages. I checked the Event Viewer as you instructed below and there are
    NO "X" error messages anywhere in the last week! There are a lot of Warnings
    though all with similar details to this:

    The content index filter for file "%1" generated content data more than %2
    times the file's size.

    The number varies with each warning. Could this be associated?

    Karen

    AnonnyMoose, Nov 10, 2003
  4. AnonnyMoose wrote:
    > Ronnie,
    >
    > The message didn't appear this morning when I turned on the computer,
    > and from what I recall there was no associated program identified in
    > the messages. I checked the Event Viewer as you instructed below and
    > there are NO "X" error messages anywhere in the last week! There are
    > a lot of Warnings though all with similar details to this:
    >
    > The content index filter for file "%1" generated content data more
    > than %2 times the file's size.
    >
    > The number varies with each warning. Could this be associated?

    Karen

    This indicates that McAfee may be the culprit. It may have been a simple
    burp caused by a recent signature update and may not appear again. Keep an
    eye on the Event Viewer for a day or two for any error messages.

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, Nov 10, 2003