    I tried to check the security policies but Windows cannot
    open the local policies database, saying that an unknown
    error has occurred." Does anyone know how I can fix this?

    foleylink, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Your local secedit.sdb may have been corrupted. There are a couple ways to try and
    repair it if you can logon as an administrator. See the links below on how to do
    such. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/sag_scetroubletn.mspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278316

    The security database is corrupted.
    Cause: A hardware problem if the computer is improperly shut down or a software
    error.

    Run esentutl /g to check the integrity of the security database at
    %windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.

    If the database is corrupt:

    1.
    Attempt to recover it by running esentutl /r on the %windir%\Security folder. If
    this fails, attempt to repair it by running with esentutl /p on
    %windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.

    2.
    After that, delete the log files in %windir%\Security.

    Steven L Umbach, Jul 19, 2004

  3. foleylink

    foleylink Guest

    I have tried the fixes to the security database but
    nothing seems to work. I still get the SceCli message
    indicating a 1202 error. And I still cannot access the
    info in the database by using Administrative Tools/Local
    Security Policy. Any other ideas? Is there a way to re-
    create the database?

    foleylink, Jul 19, 2004
  4. See if the steps in the link below help on how to create a new secedit.sdb. Also make
    sure you are logged on as an administrator and check that system and administrators
    have full control permissions to the \winnt\system32\group policy\ folders and to the
    \winnt folder as it should by default. --- Steve

    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3200/rh3252.htm

    Steven L Umbach, Jul 19, 2004
  5. foleylink

    foleylink Guest

    Steve,

    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Using the JCI Faqs that
    you directed me to, I was able to resolve the problem.

    Mike

    foleylink, Jul 20, 2004