Windows XP Error Disabling Connection

Reaction score
Hi there!

Ive recently started to get this error message when trying to disable/enable my wireless network connection:

"It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system account"

Ive been searching for solutions for this and have found no fullproof way of sorting this out, however have found that many others have had this same problem.

...Help?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Why do you want to disable the connection, as there may be a way round this :)

Have you tried uninstalling the hardware from Device Manager, as this will remove the connection - you can then re-add it and it will re-install all of the protocols at the same time. (Just be sure you know all the settings you'll need).

Reaction score
I can still sort of disable it by going to the devices properties but i cant do it via the taskbar icon, which bugs me.

Ill have a go unistalling the hardware... not lookin forward to doing that :)

Thanks for the reply!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To disable your wireless adapter:[/font]

1. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Start.[/font]
  2. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Control Panel.[/font]
  3. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Double-click Network Connections.[/font]
  4. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right-click Wireless Network Connection.[/font]
  5. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Disable.[/font]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To enable your wireless adapter:[/font]

1. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Start.[/font]
  2. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Control Panel.[/font]
  3. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Double-click Network Connections.[/font]
  4. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Right-click Wireless Network Connection.[/font]
  5. [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Enable. [/font]
:)

Reaction score
Yup! And thats when the Error Message appears. I found a work around, by configuring the devices settings and disabling/enabling via that. But the fact that i cant do it the conventional way (the procedure you just stated) bothers me...

Ask a Question