Error: Cannot Open Networks Database file rt

HowGeeky

I am getting this error message every time I make changes to the
routing table with "route add" or "route delete" commands:

Error: Cannot Open Networks Database file rt

The thing is, the new routing table seems to show up correct, ie, the
add/delete has taken place. However, this error message has been
bothering me. One thing to note is it only happens very recently. Does
anyone know what this means and how to resolve this?

I've just come across the same thing and can't for the life of me figure it
out! It's weird!

Have you found an answer yet or are you still looking?

-Al

nicksmith

have the exact same problem when trying to modify my routes for VP
useage. Mine started occuring last night after i got infected wit
coolwebsearch - look2me variant (which i was able to remove after a lo
of hassle

Did removing the virus help?
I seem to have it on systems that have no infections... I'll check again
though...

EarthQuake

The problem is in a DataBasePath value under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
containing environment variables on a REG_SZ value.

You may fix it by either deleting DataBasePath value an re-create it as
REG_MULTI_SZ and using "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc" as value
(without double quotes), or either keep the REG_SZ and hardcode the
%SystemRoot% variable, that is, use C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc"
(or whatever path you have Windows folder).

Regards.
EarthQ

I've got the DataBasePath value under REG_EXPAND_SZ, which seems to be the
default value. It's the same on the machines I have that don't give the error!

The value is also present under controlset001

EarthQuake said:
The problem is in a DataBasePath value under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
containing environment variables on a REG_SZ value.

You may fix it by either deleting DataBasePath value an re-create it as
REG_MULTI_SZ and using "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc" as value
(without double quotes), or either keep the REG_SZ and hardcode the
%SystemRoot% variable, that is, use C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc"
(or whatever path you have Windows folder).

Regards.
EarthQ

Did removing the virus help?
I seem to have it on systems that have no infections... I'll check again
though...

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe how &#^$@#! STUPID I am....

I recall having a similar problem many moons ago with NT 4.0. After perusing
the xxx\etc directory, I noticed that the file "networks" was named
"network". If it's not named right, or it's missing, you get the error
"Cannot Open Networks Database File..."

I looked and looked and never noticed the mistake before...

I remember solving an issue recently by modifying the file. I must have
named it improperly in my batch routine to get rid of the old one and copy
this one over.

If anyone's interested, the default line in that file is:

loopback 127

(tab character, not a bunch of spaces)

JEEEEEEZZZZZZZE!

I apologize for taking up bandwidth on this one folks!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone.

-Al

EarthQuake said:
The problem is in a DataBasePath value under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
containing environment variables on a REG_SZ value.

You may fix it by either deleting DataBasePath value an re-create it as
REG_MULTI_SZ and using "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc" as value
(without double quotes), or either keep the REG_SZ and hardcode the
%SystemRoot% variable, that is, use C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc"
(or whatever path you have Windows folder).

Regards.
EarthQ

Did removing the virus help?
I seem to have it on systems that have no infections... I'll check again
though...

:

have the exact same problem when trying to modify my routes for VPN
useage. Mine started occuring last night after i got infected with
coolwebsearch - look2me variant (which i was able to remove after a lot
of hassle)

josephs70

Thanks this works.

The problem is in a DataBasePath value under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
containing environment variables on a REG_SZ value.

You may fix it by either deleting DataBasePath value an re-create it as
REG_MULTI_SZ and using "%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc" as value
(without double quotes), or either keep the REG_SZ and hardcode the
%SystemRoot% variable, that is, use C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc"
(or whatever path you have Windows folder).

Regards.
EarthQ

Did removing the virus help?
I seem to have it on systems that have no infections... I'll check again
though...

Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
This also worked for me. I changed %SystemRoot% to c:\windows and i can now add new route statements.