Error 721 Though GRE opened 1723 forwarded

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 RAS Routing' started by Ola, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Ola

    Ola Guest

    Hello again, I am having the worst time connecting to my
    VPN server.

    I am trying to connect from work to my home Server. I
    also should tell you that my work network is huge and
    uses DHCP to assign IP to my work PC. (I do not think
    that should matter but then..)

    I am using the linksys DSL VPN Firewall router. I have
    gone through the filter sets and added GRE port 47 and
    enable PPTP passthrough and forwarded Port 1723 to my VPN
    server address.

    When I tried to make a connection from my office this
    Morning I get

    Error 721: The remote computer did not respond.

    I have tried using a FQDM like abc.abcllc.com where abc
    is the Server name and the domain is abcllc.com. I also
    tried using the public IP address to get to the server
    and I still got error 721.

    Please someone help, I am seriously running out of time

    Thanks in advance

    Ola, Jun 10, 2004

  2. GRE is not TCP based, so you cannot use port forwarding. GRE is a protocol,
    just as TCP is a protocol. TCP is IP protocol 6, UDP is IP protocol 17, GRE
    is IP protocol 47. You do not forward anything. You just need to make sure
    that your router does not block it. Look at the router's filter setup and
    look for GRE by name or by protocol number. Or check the router
    manufacturer's site for info on how to allow GRE.

    --
    Thanks,
    Sharoon

    Sharoon Shetty K [MSFT], Jun 11, 2004