Error 28 USB problem - can't load printer drivers after coming out of hibernation

G

My printer was working fine last week (it is shared between 3 people in my office). Then over the weekend I left my computer on and it went in to hibernation. After that we could not print. So first instinct -- remove the printer and reinstall it. Big mistake. Now I can not reload my printer and the USB port has a perpetual ! on it.

So I looked up what to do and found out this is a common problem. They say there is a hot fix for it. But damn if I could find it. MS said to update W2K to SP4 which I did. And that did not fix the problem. And to top it off, when I get to the last step in add hardware, my computer shuts down.

Also, I get this error when I try to update the USB driver, "the installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance."

Does anyone know what to do or have this mysterious hot fix?

M

majere

try removing the usb drivers rebooting and disabling the
usb in the bios. then boot the system up normaly then
reboot one more and re-enable the usb in the bios. with
any look this will fix the usb and inable you to reinstall
your printer

Ask a Question