Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try to start.

daniel

Hi,

I am having problem trying to install and start a Windows
Services. I build the exe using Visual Studio 2003
(framework 1.1). I can install it using installutil, no
problem there. But when I tried to add a new setup and
deployment project which created a msi to install the exe
as a Windows Services. It installed fine, but whenever I
tried to start the service, I receive 'Could not start the
service on Local Computer. Error 193: 0xc1'

(net start displays ' *** is not a valid Win32
application.')

In VS.Net, I added a 'Custom Actions' to
Install/Commit/Rollback/Uninstall the service but haven't
change any other properties. Am I missing some steps?

It is a W2k3 box.

Thanks in advance.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for posting in the group.

Please do the following so that we can determine what the problem maybe:

1. What is the exact name and directory location of the service.exe file on
the Win2003 machine?
2. In that directory holding the exe, is there another subdirectory that
has a similar name to the exe?
3. What is the registry key value at this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyNewService\ImagePath
= ?
Make sure that the value for this key is the same for the location of the
exe for the windows service.

Generally the error message means service manager couldn't find the exact
exe path to run the service. Sometimes, the service is installed from a
directory with multiple words for the directory name. So the registry
patrh to the service needs to be placed with double quotes. I also suggest
you test it on another machine to see if the problem is machine specific.

You could also use a tool named FileMon file www.sysinternals.com to see
which file is accessed by service.exe. In this way, you may see which step
is failed when starting service.

Hope that helps.

This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!Subject: Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try to start.
!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:06:55 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!Hi,
!
[...]

I am glad to hear it. To dig into the problem, we may need to trace into
the system source code to verify it. :( This may cause a lot of time. On my
opinion, the quicker way is to use FileMon to trace. In this way, we could
see that if the right file path is transferred to service.exe to let it
find the right file.

Thanks for participating the community. :)

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:03:36 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!Thanks Yan-Hong.
!
!1) d:\Program Files\My Company\My Service\service.exe
!2) there is no subdirectory with a similar name to the exe.
!3) the registry value is the same as 1)
!
!This is rather strange, I took your advise and put a
!double quotes around the value (registry) and the service
!is now starting fine. I also noticed that if I installed
!it onto my c drive, it will work too. (i.e. c:\Program
!Files\My Company\My Service\service.exe) and this time
!without the double quotes!
!
!If you can answer that, that will be really great.
!Otherwise, I am happy enough that it is now working.
!
!Cheers
!>Please do the following so that we can determine what the
!problem maybe:
!>
!>1. What is the exact name and directory location of
!the service.exe file on
!>the Win2003 machine?
!>2. In that directory holding the exe, is there
!another subdirectory that
!>has a similar name to the exe?
!>3. What is the registry key value at this location:
!>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyNew
!Service\ImagePath
!>= ?
[...]
!>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
!>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
!confers no rights.
!>
!>--------------------
!>!From: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!Sender: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!Subject: Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try to
!start.
!>!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:06:55 -0700
!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!
!>!Hi,
!>!
[...]
!>.
!>
!

Daniel

Hi Yan-Hong,

Just trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Here is
what I have done:
fired up file monitor and registry monitor. I compared the
results between the one which the service was installed on
c drive with the one which the service was installed on d
drive. The results are exactly the same.

So, I did another install of the service through my
setup.exe and this time, I installed it on the root of d
drive. And the service started fine! Then, I installed it
on d:\Program Files\ and it failed to start again. (The
same failure happened when I installed the service under
any sub-directory of the d:\Program Files\ folder.)

Any idea why? This question is open to anyone.

p.s. I have 'Program Files' sitting on c drive too.
i.e.c:\Program Files\. Will that confuse Windows (OS) in
terms of starting up the serivce??

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your further testing. :)

From the description, I feel it likes a product issue here. Could you
please post detailed repro steps here? I will test it on my side and work
with product group on it.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:48:32 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!Hi Yan-Hong,
!
[...]
!>!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!Subject: RE: Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try
!to start.
!>!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:03:36 -0700
!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!
!>!Thanks Yan-Hong.
!>!
[...]
!>!>
!>!>1. What is the exact name and directory location of
!>!the service.exe file on
!>!>the Win2003 machine?
!>!>2. In that directory holding the exe, is there
!>!another subdirectory that
!>!>has a similar name to the exe?
!>!>3. What is the registry key value at this location:
!>!
!>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyNew
!>!Service\ImagePath
!>!>= ?
[...]
!>!>--------------------
!>!>!Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
!>!>!From: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!>!Sender: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!>!Subject: Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try to
!>!start.
!>!>!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:06:55 -0700
!>!>!Lines: 23
!>!>!Message-ID: <[email protected]>
!>!>!MIME-Version: 1.0
!>!>!Content-Type: text/plain;
!>!>! charset="iso-8859-1"
!>!>!Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
!>!>!X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
!>!>!Thread-Index: AcNwDDB4qdiAWh3kQTyt+IUL3d8GlA==
!>!>!X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE
!V5.50.4910.0300
!>!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!>!Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!>!Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!microsoft.public.dotnet.framework:52661
!>!>!NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA14 10.40.1.166
!>!>!X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!>!
!>!>!Hi,
!>!>!
[...]
!>!>.
!>!>
!>!
!>
!>.
!>
!

Daniel

1) I created a Windows Service using VS.Net 2003
(framework v1.1) on a Windows Server 2003 box.
2) It installed fine using installutil.
3) I then created a setup project to see if I can package
up the deploy.
4) I 'Add' the primary output and 'view' the 'custom
actions' where I also added the primary output
to 'install' 'commit' 'rollback' and 'uninstall'.
5) I then ran the install and specified to install in
d:\Program Files\my service\. It installed but I cannot
start the service manually.
6) I then tried installing it in:
c:\Program Files\my service\ - no problem
d:\ - no problem
d:\my service\ - no problem
d:\Program Files\ - failed to start
7) Also, if I manually put double quote around the
registry value for the imagepath key i.e."d:\Program
Files\my service\windowsservice1.exe" (As you have
suggested, it started fine too.

That's it.

p.s. both c: and d: have the same directory
called "Program Files", and filemon and regmon show no
differences as far as I can tell.

Cheers.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Daniel,

I did almost the same test but all the things work fine on my side. My box
is also Windows 2003 server.

Here is the main difference:

1) I didn't use d:\program files, since my D: is DVD Rom. I used e:\
instead.
2) The exact installation path is E:\Program Files\Microsoft\Setup1. There
are two files in it:
TestWindowsService.exe and testwindowsservice.InstallState
3) Surely c:\program files\Microsoft\Setup1 works fine too.

Could you repro it on other machines? Or is the problem machine specfic?
Thanks.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:31:14 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
[...]
!>From the description, I feel it likes a product issue
!here. Could you
!>please post detailed repro steps here? I will test it on
!my side and work
!>with product group on it.
!>
!>Thanks again.
!>
!>Best regards,
!>Yanhong Huang
!>Microsoft Online Partner Support
!>
!>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
!>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
!confers no rights.
!>
!>--------------------
!>!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!to start.
!>!Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:48:32 -0700
!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!
!>!Hi Yan-Hong,
!>!
[...]
!>!>!References: <[email protected]>
!>!><[email protected]>
!>!>!Subject: RE: Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try
!>!to start.
!>!>!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:03:36 -0700
!>!>!Lines: 138
!>!>!Message-ID: <[email protected]>
!>!>!MIME-Version: 1.0
!>!>!Content-Type: text/plain;
!>!>! charset="iso-8859-1"
!>!>!Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
!>!>!X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
!>!>!Thread-Index: AcNwNaMH1x3N+4HkTqiX7SE7yvVs7Q==
!>!>!X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE
!V5.50.4910.0300
!>!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!>!Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!>!Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!microsoft.public.dotnet.framework:52672
!>!>!NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA12 10.40.1.164
[...]
!>!>!>
!>!>!>1. What is the exact name and directory location of
!>!>!the service.exe file on
!>!>!>the Win2003 machine?
!>!>!>2. In that directory holding the exe, is there
!>!>!another subdirectory that
!>!>!>has a similar name to the exe?
!>!>!>3. What is the registry key value at this location:
!>!>!
!>!
!>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyNew
!>!>!Service\ImagePath
!>!>!>= ?
!>!>!>--------------------
[...]
!>!>!>!
!>!>!>!Hi,
!>!>!>!
[...]
!>!>!>.
!>!>!>
!>!>!
!>!>
!>!>.
!>!>
!>!
!>
!>.
!>
!

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Daniel,

You are welcome. :) If you have follow up questions, please post in the
group.

Thanks for participating the community.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:49:14 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!
!o i see, looks like it is specific to my machine then.
!
!Thanks for looking into this for me.
!Really apprepciate it.
!Cheers.
[...]
!>!From: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!Sender: "Daniel" <[email protected]>
!to start.
!>!Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:31:14 -0700
!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!
[...]
!>!>!Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:48:32 -0700
!>!>!Lines: 224
!>!>!Message-ID: <[email protected]>
!>!>!MIME-Version: 1.0
!>!>!Content-Type: text/plain;
!>!>! charset="iso-8859-1"
!>!>!Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
!>!>!X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
!>!>!X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE
!V5.50.4910.0300
!>!>!Thread-Index: AcNxzj6ppZy7R7o4RbqioIRz15JnXQ==
!>!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!>!Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!>!Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!microsoft.public.dotnet.framework:52825
[...]
!>!>!>!>
!>!>!>!>Please do the following so that we can determine
!what
!>!>!the
!>!>!>!problem maybe:
!>!>!>!>
!>!>!>!>1. What is the exact name and directory
!location of
!>!>!>!the service.exe file on
!>!>!>!>the Win2003 machine?
!>!>!>!>2. In that directory holding the exe, is
!there
!>!>!>!another subdirectory that
!>!>!>!>has a similar name to the exe?
!>!>!>!>3. What is the registry key value at this
!location:
!>!>!>!
!>!>!
!>!
!>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MyNew
!>!>!>!Service\ImagePath
!>!>!>!>= ?
!>!>!>!>--------------------
!>!>!>!>!Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
!>!>!>!>!From: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!>!>!>!Sender: "daniel" <[email protected]>
!>!>!>!>!Subject: Error 193: 0xc1 when Windows Services try
!>!>!>!start.
!>!>!>!>!Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:06:55 -0700
!>!>!>!>!Lines: 23
!>!>!>!>!Message-ID: <016001c3700c$307af9b0
[email protected]>
!>!>!>!>!MIME-Version: 1.0
!>!>!>!>!Content-Type: text/plain;
!>!>!>!>! charset="iso-8859-1"
!>!>!>!>!Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
!>!>!>!>!X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
!>!>!>!>!Thread-Index: AcNwDDB4qdiAWh3kQTyt+IUL3d8GlA==
!>!>!>!>!X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE
!>!>!V5.50.4910.0300
!>!>!>!>!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!>!>!>!Path: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!>!>!>!Xref: cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl
!>!>!>!microsoft.public.dotnet.framework:52661
!>!>!>!>!NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA14 10.40.1.166
!>!>!>!>!X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
!>!>!>!>!
!>!>!>!>!Hi,
!>!>!>!>!
[...]
!>!>!>!>.