Windows XP Error 1706 No valid source - resolution

Reaction score
Error 1706 Appears when running Office 2000 Programme (Word, Excel etc) (WinXP Professional)

This is because the User is “Limited” or “Guest” and does not have the appropriate access as written to the Registry when Office 2000 was first installed.

(e.g.Office 2000 may have been installed over a network or from a shared CD on a network Machine)

The following resolution worked for me You will need Office 2000 Installation CD 1 and CD2

For Limited Users

1. Log off the Limited User(s)
  2. Log on as a user with Administrative Privileges
  3. Give the Limited User(s) Administrative privileges through Control Panel | User Accounts
  4. Log on as each Limited User(s) in turn (to refresh privileges ) and for each User do points 5 to 15
  5. Insert Office 2000 CD 1 into CD drive
  6. Run MSWord
  7. At Update screen Browse to Office 2000 CD 1
  8. OK
  9. Run MS Excel and browse to CD1 if needed
  10. Run Ms Powerpoint and browse to CD if needed
  11. For Publisher
  12. Insert Office 2000 CD 2
  13. Run MS Publisher
  14. At Update screen Browse to Office 2000 CD 2 if needed
  15. OK
  16. Reset User privileges to Limited as required.
For Guest User

This is a bit more complicated. You need to Put “Guest” into the “Administrators” Group temporarily.
Then run points 5 to 16 above
Then take “Guest” out of the “Administrators” Group.

To add Guest to Administrators Group

Start | Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | Administrative Tools | Computer Management
Expand Users in Local Users and Groups
Right Click on Guest and select Properties
Select Member of TAB
Click on Add
Type Administrators at the cursor in the box “Enter the object name to select”
Click OK
Click Apply Button
Click OK and close all windows.

Guest is now a member of both Guest and Administrators groups and has Administrator privileges.

Log on as Guest and run points 5 to 15 as for Limited User above.

To remove Guest from Administrators Group

Start | Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | Administrative Tools | Computer Management

Expand Users in Local Users and Groups
Right Click on Guest and select Properties
Select Member of TAB
Click on Administrators
Click on Remove
Click OK
Click Apply Button
Click OK and close all windows.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fine, but for clarity I've changed the bullets to numbers. When you are in the middle of Tanzania you try to help others if you find a solution after hours of searching!

Reaction score
Re-installing doesn't work unless you hack the registry - not many people are confident doing that and this was a way to fix the problem through the "front end".

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, your original post is a "fix" for others to read ... it just didn't come over that clear to us in the outback of the UK. :thumb:

:)

Reaction score
Yes it's a fix. Sorry it wasn't clear. I was so pleased to fix the problem after unsuccessfully searching on a very slow internet link that I wanted to share it. This is the first time that I have posted something!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DMVTCMara said:
Yes it's a fix. Sorry it wasn't clear. I was so pleased to fix the problem after unsuccessfully searching on a very slow Internet link that I wanted to share it. This is the first time that I have posted something!
Thanks :thumb: ... we just ain't use to seeing concise information from a new poster here to the forums. ;)

oh, and a belated ... hello & welcome. :D

:user:

Ask a Question