Error 1327.Invalid Drive: E:\

S

Steve T.

I am trying to load the Anti SW Beta on an IBM X40 laptop
running XP SP2. As I run the installer, I am gatting an
error message that says Error 1327.Invalid Drive: E:\
Any ideas on what is causing this an how I might fix it ?
Cheers

P

Phil Scotford

Use the subst command at a dos prompt

ie subst E: C:\DOWNLOADED FILE DIRECTORY

not elegant but it works

Reaction score
same problem

Steve T. said:
I am trying to load the Anti SW Beta on an IBM X40 laptop
running XP SP2. As I run the installer, I am gatting an
error message that says Error 1327.Invalid Drive: E:\
Any ideas on what is causing this an how I might fix it ?
Cheers

i read the solution wich was given by users but i would like to know if your problem is fixed

Reaction score
it worked for me

i tried the dos suggestion and it didn't work at first - but i changed it

subst E: C:\

and it worked

i don't know about the "ie" and all the rest of that jazz. thanks.

Reaction score
permanent solution

Specifying 'E:' as a virtual drive to which to assign a path (C:\) will work, but this is only a temporary solution as you don't want to keep the virtual drive permanently and as soon as you remove it the problem will return.

It is highly likely that the problem is due to your registry keys in your user account going bananas (somehow the key has 'jumped' to the non-existant E: drive instead of the C: drive). To fix the problem, run 'regedit' and browse through your subfolders until you find something along the lines of (will depend on what OS you're running as to the exact path name):

My_Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell_Folders

And check that all of the shell folder paths start with 'C:' or whatever your usual harddrive is. If any start with E: (or whatever letter is coming up as your error), then change this to C:. Also go to 'User_Shell_Folders' and make sure that it is changed to C: there as well.
This ought to give you a permanent solution.

(note, if you want to check that the problem IS only specific to your particular user account, try logging on under a different administrator account or if you don't have another admin account then you can even create a new admin account and log on under this - the invalid drive error shouldn't occur with this account. If it does, then the problem isn't user specific. You may then need to browse through some of your other registry keys to see where things have gone wrong).

Last edited:
Reaction score
problem with user account

Laura Brooks said:
Specifying 'E:' as a virtual drive to which to assign a path (C:\) will work, but this is only a temporary solution as you don't want to keep the virtual drive permanently and as soon as you remove it the problem will return.

It is highly likely that the problem is due to your registry keys in your user account going bananas (somehow the key has 'jumped' to the non-existant E: drive instead of the C: drive). To fix the problem, run 'regedit' and browse through your subfolders until you find something along the lines of (will depend on what OS you're running as to the exact path name):

My_Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell_Folders

And check that all of the shell folder paths start with 'C:' or whatever your usual harddrive is. If any start with E: (or whatever letter is coming up as your error), then change this to C:. Also go to 'User_Shell_Folders' and make sure that it is changed to C: there as well.
This ought to give you a permanent solution.

(note, if you want to check that the problem IS only specific to your particular user account, try logging on under a different administrator account or if you don't have another admin account then you can even create a new admin account and log on under this - the invalid drive error shouldn't occur with this account. If it does, then the problem isn't user specific. You may then need to browse through some of your other registry keys to see where things have gone wrong).

i had that problem of the "error bla bla E:" when trying to install some programs so i came to this post and did what you said, i went to regedit and in 'User_Shell_Folders' everything was like this example: mis pictures and then in data %USERACCOUNT%\my pictures well actually i dont remember if it was "useraccount" or something else but the case is that i changed everything it and in the place of %useraccounts% y put C: so it would be like:
my music C:\my music and so on and then i reseted the computer and i went to my documents and it was all empty so i went to search windowds and now all my documents are in C:\documents and settings\conchi\treblinka documents , "conchi" is the name of the person that had the computer before , i got it second hand, so what is it all? i already noticed when i bought the computer that i couldnt get rid of that folder or change the name even thought i deleted all the user accounts, what can i do so all my documents come back to the normal place and to get rid of that stupid "conchi" named folder

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've tried all suggestions

I have been experiencing this problem as well. I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread and I still have this error message when trying to install programs. I also purchased a program that promised to repair my registry. They promised that their program would specifically repair the problem causing the Error 1327 invalid Drive E: message. I still haven't found the solution. Any advice?

Reaction score
Invalid Drive E:

Ok All....I was getting the following error message when trying to install software for an HP All in One L7780....

Fatal error

Invalid Drive E:\

Please go to http://www.hp.com/support for troubleshooting information about “Fatal Error” and “MSI.networkdevicemanager01”

I spent over 5 hours on the support chat with HP. They told me to do many different things....all things not working. They even asked me to correct value data for the registry key....this suggestion has been mentioned on this thread...

Well I think I found the simple fix....
I frequently use a flashdrive and when I do, it assigns the drive as DRIVE E.

So I tried to install the software with the flashdrive inserted in the USB port and BINGO! It worked like a charm.

If you have a similar issue...try this first. It might be the easiest fix.
:bow: :wave:

Reaction score
Fatal error " invalid drive c:\"

I am trying to reinstall my HP printer on a freshly recovered Imaged drive.I have done it in the past wiithout a problem.
Now my computer either shuts down during installation of the HP printer,( allegedly an NT prompted shutdown) or it gives a message " invalid drive c:\" prompting me to go the HP support site.
In one of the postings of this forum, somebody suggested it might be a registry error, shifting the drive letter to an unexisting letter.
The Registry shows, however, the correct drive letter as G:\.
Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Ittiandro

Reaction score
tdbearlady said:
Ok All....I was getting the following error message when trying to install software for an HP All in One L7780....

Fatal error

Please go to http://www.hp.com/support for troubleshooting information about “Fatal Error” and “MSI.networkdevicemanager01”

I spent over 5 hours on the support chat with HP. They told me to do many different things....all things not working. They even asked me to correct value data for the registry key....this suggestion has been mentioned on this thread...

Well I think I found the simple fix....
I frequently use a flashdrive and when I do, it assigns the drive as DRIVE E.

So I tried to install the software with the flashdrive inserted in the USB port and BINGO! It worked like a charm.

If you have a similar issue...try this first. It might be the easiest fix.
bowdown.gif
happywave.gif

My problem is an external hard drive. I cannot load CDs or in some cases cannot download software without having this dumb hard drive plugged in. The BIG problem is this hard drive has a bad connection and I have a really hard time getting it to come on. I am going to try a flash drive instead and see if that works.

Thanks,
BillyTee

Reaction score
usb memory stick

Just to confirm....... I too have been having Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\ problems and I too have recently been using a memory stick a lot of the time, and I too have just tried inserting the memory stick before trying an update and IT WORKED!

Michael

Reaction score

I still have to plug in the hard drive. The memory stick did not work
for me. Thanks a lot any way.

billytee

Reaction score
Just to confirm....... I too have been having Error 1327. Invalid Drive E:\ problems and I too have recently been using a memory stick a lot of the time, and I too have just tried inserting the memory stick before trying an update and IT WORKED!

Michael

Thank you Michael. I was attempting to install a wireless adapter and kept getting the error 1327 problem, preventing the CD installation from completing. I tried many sites all suggesting messing with the registry (not too keen!). Happily I then came across this site with your advice. I put a memory stick into a USB port and :fool:everything worked fine!
Great advice and many thanks to you for taking the trouble to send in the solution.
Best wishes,
Marleon :cheers:

Reaction score
In the case of any invalid drive warnings plug in your jump drive go to admin tools & rename the jump drive "E" or whatever your invalid drive warning says, repeat your operation, this should fix it.

Ask a Question