Windows Vista Error: 0x80070057 failed to format ...

Reaction score
I recently installed a new mobo (as my last one had to be RMA'd), and while trying to install Windows Vista (32-bit I'm sad to say), it gave the "Failed to format the selected partition. [Error: 0x80070057]"
I have tried google-ing, microsoft help, and contacting the motherboard company (no answer yet, but only been an hour or so), and have had no success in getting the OS installed.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (F9 bios)
Intel E8400 3.0 GHz
WD 500g HDD x 1
Nvidia 9800 GT
Fatality 2GB 1066 RAM x 4
... some random sound card, don't remember exactly what right now
Zalman 9500A 92mm fan heatsink w/Arctic Cooling MX-2 compound
LG Blu-ray disc drive

I have tried multiple sata cords and slots.
I know the HDD works, as I just took it out of this computer, and had it in the one previous.
I have tried having only one stick of RAM installed.
I tried downloading drivers off the mobo CD, but Window's hides them all stating they are not compatible with hardware.

Any help or ideas would be awesome. I haven't had MY computer up for about two weeks now I think, and it's driving me nuts (and my wife as that means I have to use her computer lol)

Reaction score
Wow, I feel retarded.

I deleted the partition that was currently on there (which was the entire hdd), and then installed the OS w/o creating another partition.
Wish I would have tried that earlier. Didn't realize that it was already considered a partition.

Ask a Question