    to be empty after so few prints???

    Is this normal?

    TIA

    Nel, Jul 4, 2006

  2. Nel

    Tony Guest

    "Nel" <nelftm@MY_ISP_world.com> wrote:
    >I bought an Epson DX3800 to make more space in my set up. Put in the new
    >cartridges, did a couple of test prints (just text, no photographs etc.) and
    >found that the level had dropped already! Now a few weeks later and only a
    >couple of dozen prints later of sparse text (job sheets for work) I find
    >that I'm virtually out of black ink!!
    >
    >Now I've heard before that the original cartridges are not always full, but
    >to be empty after so few prints???
    >
    >Is this normal?
    >
    >TIA

    I am not aware of Epson supplying "starter" cartridges but this model is
    certainly an entry level one and generally they are very ink hungry and have
    small cartridges.
    Also, when the printer is first turned on during installation it does an
    initial charge of the head which uses a lot of ink. You may find some
    improvement with the second set of cartridges because they will not have to
    suppply the initial charge.
    Tony

    Tony, Jul 6, 2006

  3. The very first cartridges installed use a purging cycle to clear out the
    fluid used to protect the heads during shipping and storage, so they
    will run out sooner than the others. However, there may be a problem
    with your printer, since the use sounds quite poor. Check in your
    manual or ads for the unit and information on how many pages it should
    print per cartridge.

    These printer cartridge yields are usually developed around a 5%
    coverage for black and white, which is light text printing.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Jul 6, 2006