Epson 3170 won't scan after windows update

W

Walter Frischen

I use XP Pro with automatic windows updates enabled. After
the most recent update a few days ago, the scan application
"Epson scan" (v 1.22g) won't start anymore.

I get an error "ESCNDV.EXE has encountered a Problem ...".
Clicking on details, the problem signature says:

AppName: escndv.exe AppVer: 1.2.0.1 ModName: esui.dll
ModVer: 1.2.2.1 Offset: 00055d51

No information can be found on the epson support page and I
seem to have to most recent scanner driver. Has anybody
experienced this? Any idea how to resolve this?

Walter

R

Rich Barry

Walter, reinstall the Scanner. Disconnect it and remove the software
from Add/Remove Programs in
Control Panel. Restart and let Xp load without it. Restart again and
reinstall the Software and drivers.
Then finally reconnect the scanner.

Reaction score
walter,

hi. I have noticed the same problem after updating windows xp. This seems to be the problem, because i have reinstalled everything, but no luck
let me know if you find out anything
Bob

Reaction score
easily fixed - tell the whole world!!

When your scanner does a preview it stores the last image previewed for next time you open up your scanner software.
Sometimes that image gets corrupted and won't load in hence the whole software stops loading and the error pops up - stupid really. Epson should know the fix straight away but i have read on a lot of other forums that contacting epson doesn't get you any help on this issue they just tell you to reinstall.
a bloke called Brian on another forum gave this and heaps of people posted replys that it works. I tried it and it worked for me too.
You just gotta delete the corrupted image file.

Go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\EPSON\ESCNDV\ES0058
and delete any image files in that folder. The last folder might have a different number depending on your printer/scanner.

"Application Data" folder is a hidden folder so click on the menu item at the top of the browser window which is:
Tools->folder options->view
scroll down and select "show hidden files and folders."

Let me know if it works.

Reaction score
CDB0018B said:
I registered just so I could say thank you. It worked for me (Epson CX5400).

bowdown.gif

Thats the reason why I registered too!
Good to know other people are finding the fix works for them too.
I just wish I could work out the other problem that has confounded me now.
When my resolution is set really high (I want to enlarge a small photo) I get an error for the next time I want to scan. If I drop the resolution the error goes away. Took me a while to work out the problem.

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacbelle
Let me know if it works.

Again,I too registered just so I could say "thank you" and that it worked for me.
I spent hours of frustration removing and re-installing drivers & software to no avail. I even set up a new computer just to check that the scanner was still working!
This problem and fix should really appear also on the Epson website!
Thanks again.
bowdown.gif

Reaction score
Another registrant so I can say thank you. I don't like to think how much effort this would have wasted had I not stumbled on this post.

How on earth did you work out how to fix it?

Epson need to get there act together. Presumably they could link to the auto windows error report so that a fix could be advised?

Reaction score
Thanks, zacbelle, for the solution! so simple, it works, but who would have thought of it?

Reaction score
Thank you Zacbelle!

Let me know if it works.[/QUOTE]

I, too, just registered to say THANK you, Zacbelle, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have been uninstalling, pulling out cables and USB's, reinstalling until I'm blue in the face!! I tried several times to find a solution online, installing new Epson drivers, uninstalling, on and on ad nauseum, until I finally came across your post. The only thing I did different was to go under HP Administrator folder for a HP computer. I couldn't believe it when my ever-so-missed CX7800 scanner interface re-appeared after over a year of trying!! And such a simple fix!!! I can't begin to thank you enough, but THANK YOU!!!! :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you
i registered just to say thank you. a simple solution to a frustrating problem Epson should have noted on their site

Reaction score
Thank you!

In addition to the others, thank you too! I was actually going to go buy a new scanner -- I tried deleting the software, reinstalling, installing updates, and have been working on this for two weeks!

You saved me a ton of money!

Thank you so much.

Reaction score
easily fixed - tell the whole world!!

You just gotta delete the corrupted image file.

Go here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\EPSON\ESCNDV\ES0058
and delete any image files in that folder. The last folder might have a different number depending on your printer/scanner.

Let me know if it works.

IT DID.....I Love you!!! Hugs and Kisses and thanks for making my day!! :dance:

Reaction score
Zacbelle "and so it goes" Still relevant six years later (2014). My good fortune to run across your post in my google search for "epson scanner not working after XP updates". As others before me I registered to say Thanks and Happy Trails

Ask a Question