    a few files can not be decrypted so the files become
    useless.
    Please help

    hrl, Sep 12, 2003

  2. hrl

    Howard Guest

    It's always a good idea to configure recovery agents before allowing
    EFS. If you haven't assigned any recovery agents, the Administrator
    will be the recovery agent. In a domain, the domain admin is the
    recovery agent. In a stand alone (or workgroup), the local Admin will
    the the agent.

    If you're working on a stand alone or (workgroup) computer, just log
    on as Admin and then you'll be able to decrypt the files on your
    drive.

    In a domain, the domain admin has to decrypt the file using his own
    computer (where his certificate is stored). The file has to be backed
    up (from another computer or a file server) and restored to the domain
    admin's computer.

    Basically, the administrator (standalone or domain) holds a special
    recovery certificate. The recovery must be done on the computer where
    the recovery certificate is stored.

    And if you use roaming profiles, the above doesn't always apply! And
    if the above doesn't work, there *may* be other methods. I don't want
    to make this too long, so post back if you have problems.

    Good Luck,

    Howard

    http://www.usenet.com

    Howard, Sep 12, 2003