Enabling WMI Access Permissions using group Policy?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Group Policy' started by Wayne, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    Hello,

    Is there a way to provide WMI Access Permissions using
    Group Policy in a Windows 2000 Domain? What I want to
    accomplish is to permit a domain group with non-
    adminstrator members Read access to WMI on some 200 Win2K
    servers without running WMI Control on each server.

    In Group Policy it seems you can only enable WMI Control
    Access, which means you still need to run WMI Control
    individually on each server to grant WMI permissions for
    a user or group.

    The goal is to allow users to read WMI data for
    monitoring performance data on the servers, but the
    users cannot be members of the local or domain admin
    groups.

    It looks like Microsoft has provided this capability in
    Server 2003. Is there a tool or utility that enables it
    for Win2K domain controllers? Or is there a better
    approach?

    Thanks,

    Wayne

    Wayne, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Wayne

    Philip Nunn Guest

    I think your DC's have to be running Windows 2003 Server for WMI filtering
    in GPO's. I believe this is the only way.

    Philip Nunn

    Philip Nunn, Oct 20, 2003