    Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?

    Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
    logs and no complaints from users.

    Paul, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Paul

    Dave Patrick Guest

    Y here on Windows XP. This article may also help.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncomg/html/msdn_practicom.asp

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Paul

    Steve Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > We had a virus sweep through the other day - and although we eventually
    > stopped it and now it is fixed - I am sure it changed this registry key on
    > this Windows 2000 Server
    >
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ole
    > enableDCOM = N
    >
    > Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?
    >
    > Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
    > logs and no complaints from users.

    I want it set to "N" on every machine.

    Have a look at this link:

    http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm

    and the rest of the website as well. This guy has the best explanations
    I've yet seen of security issues, without all the smoke and mirrors
    promulgated by the vendors of "protection" software. I've been
    following his advice for some time now, and have had zero problems with
    it. Can't say the same for any AV, firewall, etc. software I've used.

    I have no connection with grc.com other than as a highly satisfied
    viewer / user.

    Steve Hendrix

    Steve, Sep 17, 2006
  4. From: "Steve" <>

    | Paul wrote:
    >> We had a virus sweep through the other day - and although we eventually
    >> stopped it and now it is fixed - I am sure it changed this registry key on
    >> this Windows 2000 Server
    >>
    >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ole
    >> enableDCOM = N
    >>
    >> Is it safe to assume that Y is the way it should be and I can change it ?
    >>
    >> Note it has been running with the N for 2 days now and nothing in the even
    >> logs and no complaints from users.

    | I want it set to "N" on every machine.
    |
    | Have a look at this link:
    |
    | http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm
    |
    | and the rest of the website as well. This guy has the best explanations
    | I've yet seen of security issues, without all the smoke and mirrors
    | promulgated by the vendors of "protection" software. I've been
    | following his advice for some time now, and have had zero problems with
    | it. Can't say the same for any AV, firewall, etc. software I've used.
    |
    | I have no connection with grc.com other than as a highly satisfied
    | viewer / user.
    |
    | Steve Hendrix

    Don't listen to the Scare Monger at GRC.Com !

    It is NOT an authorative site on security.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Sep 17, 2006