    in IE. Is there a way to enable TLS by editing a registry key? If so,
    where is that key located? Thank you.

    , Oct 24, 2005

  2. See if this note here helps:
    http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak/msg/f0f0c3cb7fb35529

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Tony Guest

    Thank you Ramesh.. Exactly what I was looking for.

    Tony, Oct 25, 2005
  4. You're welcome Tony. Keep us posted.

    Ramesh, MS-MVP, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Tony Guest

    For anyone interested, I wrote an ADM so that it can be applied through
    Group Policy.

    ; Administrative Template
    ; Adding and enabling this template will allow you to change
    ; the registry value for IE Secure Protocols found in the
    ; Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security window.

    CLASS USER
    CATEGORY !!categoryname
    KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
    POLICY !!policyname
    EXPLAIN !!explaintext
    PART !!labeltext DROPDOWNLIST REQUIRED
    VALUENAME "SecureProtocols"
    ITEMLIST
    NAME !!enableSSLTLS VALUE NUMERIC 168 DEFAULT
    NAME !!enableAll VALUE NUMERIC 170
    NAME !!enableSSL VALUE NUMERIC 40
    END ITEMLIST
    END PART
    END POLICY
    END CATEGORY

    [strings]
    categoryname="IE Secure Protocols"
    policyname="Setup IE Secure Protocols"
    explaintext="This policy sets up IE Secure Protcols"
    labeltext="Set IE Secure Protcols"
    enableAll="Enable All Secure Protocols"
    enableSSLTLS="Enable SSL 2.0 and 3.0"
    enableSSL="Enable only SSL"

    ; END TEMPLATE
    ---------------------------------------

    Tony, Oct 26, 2005
  6. mr_oz

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I know this thread is quite old, but I thought I'd update it with my work, so those out there that want to implement this, can. It utilizes the latest registry entries for the security protocols within Internet Explorer 6.0 and later. It's been cleaned up a bit and has been written to be utilized under a certain directory once added as an admin template. To get to this policy setting within the group policy you've added it to, go to "User Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Internet Explorer" > "Internet Control Panel" > "Advanced Page". The policy setting's labelled as "Setup Internet Explorer Security Protocols" and includes a drop down list to work with. I have this policy setting defaulted to SSL v3.0 and TLS v1.0, once it's enabled. You'll have to un-check "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed." before viewing this policy setting. To un-check the afore-mentioned option, just go to the console's menu at the top, then go to "View" > "Filtering...". You should see this option at the very bottom checked. Just un-check it, click "OK" then navigate where you need to be, to change this policy setting. Have fun! :dance:

    ;----------------------------------------
    ; Administrative Template
    ; Adding and enabling this template will allow you to change
    ; the registry value for IE Security Protocols found in the
    ; Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security window.
    ;
    ; This template has been modified from the original post online.
    ; Its been updated with the correct decimal values to ensure the
    ; proper settings are enabled when applied.
    ; All decimal values were tested manually to ensure accuracy.
    ; The option to enable PCT v1.0 has been removed to support at least IE v6.0,
    ; if anyone actually uses this browser version anymore.
    ; Original post found on forum at http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/enable-tls-through-registry-t2203443.html

    CLASS USER
    CATEGORY !!catname1
    CATEGORY !!catname2
    CATEGORY !!catname3
    CATEGORY !!catname4
    POLICY !!policyname
    #if version >= 4
    SUPPORTED !!supported_ie6
    EXPLAIN !!explaintext
    #endif
    KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
    PART !!labeltext DROPDOWNLIST
    VALUENAME "SecureProtocols"
    ITEMLIST
    NAME !!enableAll VALUE NUMERIC 168
    NAME !!enableSSL2 VALUE NUMERIC 8
    NAME !!enableSSL3 VALUE NUMERIC 32
    NAME !!enableTLS VALUE NUMERIC 128
    NAME !!enableSSL2n3 VALUE NUMERIC 40
    NAME !!enableSSL2nTLS VALUE NUMERIC 136
    NAME !!enableSSL3nTLS VALUE NUMERIC 160 DEFAULT
    NAME !!disableAll VALUE NUMERIC 0
    END ITEMLIST
    REQUIRED
    END PART
    END POLICY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY
    END CATEGORY

    [strings]
    catname1 = "Windows Components"
    catname2 = "Internet Explorer"
    catname3 = "Internet Control Panel"
    catname4 = "Advanced Page"
    policyname = "Setup Internet Explorer Security Protocols"
    supported_ie6 = "At least Internet Explorer 6"
    explaintext = "This policy sets up Internet Explorer Security Protocols: SSL v2.0, SSL v3.0 & TLS v1.0. These settings can be applied to machines running Internet Explorer v6.0 or later."
    labeltext = "Set IE Security Protocols"
    enableAll = "Enable All"
    enableSSL2 = "Enable SSL v2.0"
    enableSSL3 = "Enable SSL v3.0"
    enableTLS = "Enable TLS v1.0"
    enableSSL2n3 = "Enable SSL v2.0 & 3.0"
    enableSSL2nTLS = "Enable SSL v2.0 & TLS v1.0"
    enableSSL3nTLS = "Enable SSL v3.0 & TLS v1.0"
    disableAll = "Disable All (not recommended)"

    ; END TEMPLATE

    mr_oz, Jun 7, 2011