Enable remote desktop via GPO

Discussion in 'Windows XP Work Remotely' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?=, Mar 30, 2004.

  1. I want to active remote desktop option on our WinXP
    clients.
    I want to enable the following GPO on our DC server in
    WIN 2000:
    GPO-> Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates-
    >Windows Components->Terminal Services->Allow users to

    connect remotely using Terminal Services -"Enable"
    I can not find this policy in the list.
    Could you explain me? How I can add it in the list on a
    Win2000 server?
    BR.
    François

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?=, Mar 30, 2004

  2. You can edit the GPO from a Windows XP machine and the System.adm file from
    the %systemroot%\inf folder on the client machine will get imported into the
    domain GPO. Once this happens you can edit the policy setting from the XP
    machine.

    307900 Upgrading Windows 2000 Group Policy for Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307900

    NOTE: If you edit this policy afterwards from a Windows 2000 machine it
    will import the Windows 2000 version of system.adm back into the policy.

    It would be best to make an XP specific policy and edit this policy only
    from XP machines. Alternatively, you could copy the
    %SystemRoot%\inf\system.adm file from the XP machine to the %Systemroot%\inf
    folder on all the DCs.
    --
    David Everett
    Microsoft Corporation

    David Everett [MSFT], Mar 30, 2004

  3. Hello,
    Thank you for your answer,
    But I can not find this GPO (Allow users to
    >connect remotely using Terminal Services)on my win XP

    client machine.
    Do I have to install something more? So I can make it
    availlable.
    BR.
    François

    confers no rights.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?=, Mar 31, 2004
  4. That's what I get for being at SP2 RC1.

    The System.adm in SP1 for Windows XP does not have this setting.

    You can call the support line and request the hotfix below. The System.adm
    file in this hotfix has the "Allow users to connect remotely using Terminal
    Services" setting in it. After you have installed the hotfix on your XP
    workstation you can edit the policy. If the new setting does not show up
    automatically in the policy you may have to import the system.adm file into
    the GPO again.

    831787 ?Prevent Access to Registry Editing Tools? policy changes in
    Microsoft
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831787
    --
    David Everett
    Microsoft Corporation

    "François" <> wrote in message
    Hello,
    Thank you for your answer,
    But I can not find this GPO (Allow users to
    >connect remotely using Terminal Services)on my win XP

    client machine.
    Do I have to install something more? So I can make it
    availlable.
    BR.
    François

    confers no rights.

    David Everett [MSFT], Apr 1, 2004
  5. Isn't there a copy of the system.adm for Windows 2K3 server available
    anywhere? I remember downloading one at one point in time to upgrade
    GP's to deal with Win2K3 and Windows XP.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    Jeffrey Randow (MVP), Apr 1, 2004