email lost when using Out Of Office Assistant

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Amedee Van Gasse, Jul 29, 2008.

  1. Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003.

    One of our users used the rules in the Out Of Office Assistant to move
    all email with a certain condition to a folder. I don't remember what
    the condition was, perhaps something with sender or subject, but that
    is not important.

    The important thing was that he made a rule to move those emails to a
    folder inside a PST file. He wanted to avoid that he went over quota
    on Exchange while on holiday.

    The result when he came back: in his pst-file he saw the list of
    emails, but he couldn't open any of them. He got a message (in Dutch,
    roughly translated back to Engrish): "Can not open the item. This
    action will be supported when the entire message is downloaded.
    Download the message and try again."
    When moving such mail to the Exchange Inbox, Outlook says that the
    mail may have been deleted from the server, and the message disappears
    without a trace, not even in deleted items.

    I'm quite sure that he got this problem because he used a rule that
    referenced a PST file, making it a client-side rule. In case of
    regular Rules&Alerts, it really doesn't matter much if a rule is
    client-side or server side, but in case of the OOOA, I think it does.
    It is my theory that Exchange thought it had moved the mail off the
    server (so it deletes the mail body) but it only registers the mail
    metadata (subject, size,... the things you see in the emails list) in
    the PST file. It couldn't actually move to PST because the Exchange
    server doesn't know where to find the PST file.

    I'm 99% sure that this is the cause of the problem, but I would like
    to find some "official" confirmation; a KB article from Microsoft
    would be best. I have searched but didn't find anything useful yet,
    only general descriptions of how the OOOA works.
    This is because I need to document the incident and inform our users
    that they shouldn't use PST files in rules. (They shouldn't use PST
    files *period*, but that's not up to me)

    Kind regards,

    Amedee

    Amedee Van Gasse, Jul 29, 2008

  2. I've never heard of that. Is DumpsterAlwaysOn set on the Outlook client?
    If not, try setting that and seeing if you can recover the deleted items
    from the Inbox.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    ..

    Ed Crowley [MVP], Jul 30, 2008

  3. On 30 jul, 01:53, "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <> wrote:
    > I've never heard of that.  Is DumpsterAlwaysOn set on the Outlook client?
    > If not, try setting that and seeing if you can recover the deleted items
    > from the Inbox.

    What is DumpsterAlwaysOn ?
    I have used Outlook myself and supported others since november '99,
    and I have never heard about that.
    According to Google, it is a registry key that enables Recover Deleted
    Items in the Tools menu, is that correct?
    We have that enabled.
    But it's only good for emails deleted the last 7 days and the user was
    on holiday for 2 weeks.
    Anyway I have already closed the incident after talking to the user,
    and I have updated our FAQ, telling people NOT to use rules in the Out
    Of Office Assistant to move emails to their PST file.

    --
    Amedee

    Amedee Van Gasse, Jul 30, 2008