editing outlook.nk2 file to remove bad addresses

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Contacts' started by Joel Bellman, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Joel Bellman

    Joel Bellman Guest

    I understand that Outlook 2002 uses the outlook.nk2 file
    to store details of previously used email addresses. It
    then uses this to suggest addresses for the
    autocompletion function.

    I have a large number of contacts whose company has
    recently changed its domain suffix, and also a few cases
    where I typed a wrong address that got bounced back.

    How do I edit the nk2 file to remove these entries so
    that Outlook no longer suggests them in autocompletion?
    It isn't usable in Notepad or any text editor. I don't
    want to turn the feature off, but it is now clogged up
    with addresses that I know are incorrect.

    Regards,
    JB

    Joel Bellman, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting
    the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to
    migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of
    the field. To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Jan 29, 2004