ebay virgin needs advice

Reaction score
Yes, i'm an ebay virgin and am getting ready to sell a whole garage full of junk, er i mean collectables!
Anything i need to know or advice on selling or just general views would be most welcome.:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Only sell in the UK.

Make sure you know the total cost of postage and then add 10% to it.

Steer clear of PayPal.

Here endeth the lesson ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Only sell in the UK.

Make sure you know the total cost of postage and then add 10% to it.

Steer clear of PayPal.

Here endeth the lesson ;)
Whats wrong with PayPal.
Who do i use instead of PayPal?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PayPal make mistakes and charge commission for cash transfers.

Now then, how do you usually sell something?

That's right - bank transfer; postal order or cheque.

Or door to door delivery and cash ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Always put a picture of the item your selling .

A good description with helpful links .

Give a discount for multiple buys .

Always use Pay-Pal it saves alot of work .

Include the exact postage costs , save s a lot of time later on .

Always always get a proof of postage from the post office .

Ending your auctions at around 6 to 8 o'clock on a Sunday evening is a good thing to do .

Use the E-Bay Turbo Lister , means you can work of line .

You could try eBid as an alternative .

http://uk.ebid.net/indexmain.php

happywave.gif

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Depending on what your selling always add this to your listings especially if its an expensive or electronic item..

I DO NOT POST TO NIGERIA OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY, I AM AWARE OF SCAMMERS..I POST TO UK ONLY

Put that in your listing somewhere and that will save you a lot of time and hassle later on down the road..

I have nearly 100 feedback on ebay and have bought and sold on there since 1999 so I know what I am talkng about, listen to the rest of the advice dolled out on here as its very good advice..

As for Paypal it is convenient but they do take a 4.5% commission from all sales that go through them..Other than that its a postal order and if they do it this way make sure you stipulate that its not crossed as otherwise it will take time to clear in your bank account..Cheque will take 3-5 working days to clear so again don't send the goods until the cheque is cleared and the money is in your account..
On the subject of Bank transfers I would say stay clear if you don't have much experience on ebay, there are plenty of scammers about and all they need is your account number to do serious damage..But at the end of the day its your account so feel free to ignore me if you want..

eBay can be a great place to get rid of unwanted items, Always give a good description and don't lie about the items condition or it might just come back and bite you on the bum..If it works say it works, if it don't then say so..You then have nothing to hide and the buyer will thank you for it..

Good luck any more advice you can PM me..:nod:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Feckit

Ebay ...Paypal...same owners m8 ...enough said

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Yes I agree once bitten twice shy?:wall:

I've conducted several hundred transactions on eBay and using PayPal with no problems at all.

Make sure you know your costs up front and govern yourself accordingly.

The only negative experience I've had in dealing with online auctions was the one time use of United Parcel Service (UPS) as the shipper and those people are crooks beyond belief.

I don't even know if you folks have those shysters in Britain but if you do avoid using them as a shipper if you are buying or selling and you'll be fine.

Let's just say they ended up charging me a total price of $65 to ship me a CPU that I paid $40 for and a friend sent to me from the same state for $6 a few weeks earlier.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
feckit said:
Yes, i'm an ebay virgin and am getting ready to sell a whole garage full of junk, er i mean collectables!
Anything i need to know or advice on selling or just general views would be most welcome.
nod.gif

It's all very easy. :nod:

When you're selling your "collectables" check on ebay, before you list them, to see what price is on similar items that are being sold. It's important to get your starting price right - too low, you won't may much money, too high, you won't sell at all ( unless, of course, it's some incredibly rare antique).

Also, I would advise you to get a Paypal account, which I find makes life a lot easier. You can arrange that very easily through ebay.

All the best with your sale. :thumb: :wave:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Just had my ebay star through today , giving me support 7 days a week and they have even given me £10 off anything i buy..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Rush said:
Just had my ebay star through today , giving me support 7 days a week and they have even given me £10 off anything i buy..

Whats all that then ??:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Rush, I know where you live!!

You may wanna photoshop your name and address out of that photo. ;)

EDIT: done it for you mate. :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By myself

Seem like its a reward for using their service...

cheers m8 .. thought i`d done that :)

Attachments

• DSC_0265 (900 x 598).jpg
    DSC_0265 (900 x 598).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 105

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries mate, you've still left your sign in name on there though. i've blurred it with PS you want me to edit your post? :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
That what i love about this site, you come home from work then 2 young children crave your attention whilst you post a mega important reply to a thread then make mistakes...Then up pops a Mod and puts the wrongs to right ...:wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
lol
laughingsmiley.gif

No worries, tis one of the reasons we are here. :)

Ask a Question