Easy Way to Input Data?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Forms' started by Toan Chau, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Toan Chau

    Toan Chau Guest

    Hi All,

    Here are some details about my database...

    *Table 2*
    User ID
    Date
    Data 1
    Data 2
    Data 3
    Data 4

    *Table 1*
    User F. Name
    User L. Name
    User ID
    Date of Hire

    The primary key for *Table 1* is User ID. It is linked to
    *Table 2*'s User ID.

    There is only one individual User ID in *Table 1* for each
    user. But there are multiple instances of the same User
    ID in *Table 2*.

    I have the two tables linked such that if I deleted a User
    ID from *Table 1* it will delete all instances of the same
    User ID in *Table 2*

    Thanks for listening thus far...now my issue is this...

    I would like to make a form to enter data into *Table 2*
    each day. I would fill in the UserID column, Date, Data
    1, Data 2, Data 3, and Data 4.

    How can I make it such that I would not have to retype the
    UserID or the date for each user that I have? Because
    currently for day one I would have to input the user name,
    the date and then the data set and do that all over again
    for day 2. Is there a better way to go about this?

    Does any know a good solution to this? Or lead me in the
    right direction? Is my table design incorrect? Is my
    linking the two tables correct?

    A thousand thanks in advance,
    -Toan

    Toan Chau, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Toan,

    Your table design looks reasonable. Now, to cutting down on data entry:
    there are several things you can do, it depends on how you work. For
    instance:
    ?s far as date entry goes:
    If you systematically enter data every day for the same day, you could set
    the default value to =Date().
    If you systematically enter data every day for the last working day, you
    could use some simple code to calculate that (e.g. leave out Saturdays and
    Sundays) and default it.
    If you do it periodically but not daily, and run through all Users for each
    day, then move to the next day etc., you could use a DMax expression to
    default the last date entered, so you only have to change it when starting a
    new date.

    On the UserID:
    You could use a listbox or combo box on your form to click-select rather
    than type in. You could even use some code to auto advance to the next
    UserID on every new record (in this case you should make this a data antry
    form, so you can't go back to existing records and jam them).

    HTH,
    Nikos

    Nikos Yannacopoulos, Jan 21, 2004