Windows Vista DVD RW +/- Drive disappeared

MPS

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Advent ERT2250

Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73GHz

80GB H/Drive (3 GB is currently free)

2 GB Ram (upgraded from 1GB one year ago)

Windows Vista Premium OS 6.0.6001

Norton Anti Virus

Spyware Doctor

Advanced Windows Care V2 Personal IO Bit

All of the above has been working fine for about a year.
The DVD +/- RW drive does not work correctly, the drive does not show in 'My Computer'.

If I insert a CD/DVD I can hear the drive trying to start then nothing. I don't know how long it has not been working as I don't use it often - Maybe one month ago.

Thought it may be because I downloaded SopCast about a week ago, I deleted it and the drive was back, next day the drive was gone again.

Did numerous system restores (with no SopCast) , I did get the drive back on one of these but only as a CD Drive - not DVD, but again the next day it has disappeared.

When I use an external Freecom CD drive I can play a CD.

I did try to use my DVD recovery disc, the drive runs for about 20 seconds with it in, but then nothing else happens.

I have run all of the Anti Virus sofware and found nothing major.

I also uninstalled Norton in case the virus software was in conflict.

Any help to solve this would be appreciated

MPS

Reaction score
Hi Wiz

Thanks for the reply, the drive that is not working is built into the laptop. I tried an external CD drive just to experiment really. The Laptop is just over a year old.

Basically on a couple of the system restores, I did get back the drive icon in the 'My Computer' window (and the DVD drive worked) but the next day the icon disappeared and the drive didn't work.

Just as a thought where can I look to see if the D drive driver exists? I might be on the wrong track but found the info below on the Microsft site, I followed the instructions, but only got as far as the line below as the pcs after Control don't exist on my computer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista

View products that this article applies to.
function loadTOCNode(){}Article ID:929461Last Review:March 12, 2008Revision:5.2
SYMPTOMS

loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');You upgrade a computer to Windows Vista or install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or you install or uninstall applications that have a CD/DVD filter driver. When you restart the computer, the CD drive or DVD drive no longer works as expected. Back to the top

CAUSE

loadTOCNode(1, 'cause');This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true: •The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows Vista.•You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.•You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters. Back to the top

RESOLUTION

loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Click Start
VistaStartButton.jpg
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 2.Locate, and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.3.In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete. 4.Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.5.In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete. 6.Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.7.Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

For information about how to contact computer software vendors, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, Q-Z
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

loadTOCNode(1, 'moreinformation');For more information about the filter drivers that may be loaded in Windows Vista, run the DevCon program. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Obtain and extract the DevCon program. For more information about how to obtain this program and about how to use this program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 311272 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/) The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager
2.Click Start
VistaStartButton.jpg
, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 3.At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.4.Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.Then, information that resembles the following appears: IDE\CDROM<name>_____CDRW121032______1.08\5&60546BC&0&0.0.0 Name: <name> CDRW121032 Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM Upper filters: <driver name> Controlling service: cdrom Lower filters: <driver name>1 matching device(s) found.
Back to the top

REFERENCES

loadTOCNode(1, 'references');For more information about a similar problem that you may experience on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 314060 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/) You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
Back to the top

http://APPLIES TO

•Windows Vista Business•Windows Vista Enterprise•Windows Vista Home Basic•Windows Vista Home Premium•Windows Vista Ultimate•Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Starter
The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that you upgraded to Windows Vista

SYMPTOMS

loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');You upgrade a computer to Windows Vista or install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or you install or uninstall applications that have a CD/DVD filter driver. When you restart the computer, the CD drive or DVD drive no longer works as expected. Back to the top

CAUSE

loadTOCNode(1, 'cause');This problem may occur if one of the following scenarios is true: •The filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack are not migrated successfully to Windows Vista.•You uninstalled CD software that fails to properly remove itself in the registry.•You installed software that adds filter drivers in the CD and the DVD storage stack that interfere with existing filters. Back to the top

RESOLUTION

loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Click Start
VistaStartButton.jpg
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 2.Locate, and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.3.In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete. 4.Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.5.In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete. 6.Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.7.Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program.

For information about how to contact computer software vendors, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/) Hardware and software vendor contact information, Q-Z
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

loadTOCNode(1, 'moreinformation');For more information about the filter drivers that may be loaded in Windows Vista, run the DevCon program. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Obtain and extract the DevCon program. For more information about how to obtain this program and about how to use this program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 311272 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272/) The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager
2.Click Start
VistaStartButton.jpg
, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 3.At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.4.Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.Then, information that resembles the following appears: IDE\CDROM<name>_____CDRW121032______1.08\5&60546BC&0&0.0.0 Name: <name> CDRW121032 Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM Upper filters: <driver name> Controlling service: cdrom Lower filters: <driver name>1 matching device(s) found.
Back to the top

REFERENCES

loadTOCNode(1, 'references');For more information about a similar problem that you may experience on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 314060 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/) You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
Back to the top

http://APPLIES TO

•Windows Vista Business•Windows Vista Enterprise•Windows Vista Home Basic•Windows Vista Home Premium•Windows Vista Ultimate•Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition•Windows Vista Starter

Last edited:
Reaction score
MPS said:
Hi Wiz

Thanks for the reply, the drive that is not working is built into the laptop. I tried an external CD drive just to experiment really. The Laptop is just over a year old.

Basically on a couple of the system restores, I did get back the drive icon in the 'My Computer' window (and the DVD drive worked) but the next day the icon disappeared and the drive didn't work.

Just as a thought where can I look to see if the D drive driver exists? I might be on the wrong track but found the info below on the Microsft site, I followed the instructions, but only got as far as the line below as the pcs after Control don't exist on my computer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

VistaStartButton.jpg

SecurityShield.jpg

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

2.Click Start
VistaStartButton.jpg

SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 3.At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.4.Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.Then, information that resembles the following appears: IDE\CDROM_____CDRW121032______1.08\5&60546BC&0&0.0.0 Name: CDRW121032 Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM Upper filters: Controlling service: cdrom Lower filters: 1 matching device(s) found.
Back to the top

REFERENCES

Back to the top

APPLIES TO

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

VistaStartButton.jpg

SecurityShield.jpg

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

2.Click Start
VistaStartButton.jpg

SecurityShield.jpg
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. 3.At the command prompt, change the directory to the directory to which you extracted the DevCon files.4.Type devcon stack gencdrom, and then press ENTER.Then, information that resembles the following appears: IDE\CDROM_____CDRW121032______1.08\5&60546BC&0&0.0.0 Name: CDRW121032 Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM Upper filters: Controlling service: cdrom Lower filters: 1 matching device(s) found.
Back to the top

REFERENCES

Back to the top

APPLIES TO

Can I just ask did this problem happen afdter isntalling Vista? This is a common problem with some laptops its down to screw coming awsy from the disk drive adn they need tighting back up again, I have attached a link to a website with the same problem just to give you an idea of how to fix it. Please check your laptop manual for more details regarding this problem.

Link,

http://forum.novatech.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20791

I hope this helps, If not then let me know.

Thanks,

Wiz

MPS

Reaction score
Hi Wiz,

No the Vista was pre-installed, I was just clutching at straws on the MS website.

Thanks for the link, I haven't taken the tray out completely yet, but underneath the laptop where the first screw is located (which would secure the bottom of the L bracket), I found this was loose, I tightened it up and after re-booting the comp the drive returned! Excellent detective work, THANKS :).

I will take the tray out anyway and check all screws on the bracket to be sure they are OK.

Just as a side note I know these computers have a reputation for turning themselves off, which on your link says that also a symptom (my does occasionly), I read on a forum about a year ago Dixons / Currys took loads of these back for that reason.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Reaction score
MPS.

You're welcome glad you got it fixed.
nod.gif
This is offten the case and the screws need thighting up.

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question