dvd rom won't detect CDs but detects DVDs!

Reaction score
Strange this. My DVD is LG HL-DT-ST GSA-H55N.

I tried several CDs it wont detect them or recognise them but it recognises any DVD.

Whys this? I have XP Pro.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It maybe that your DVDdrive has 2 lasers, 1 for reading CD's and 1 for reading DVD's...

Looks like your drive needs a disc cleaner put through it, failing that one of your lasers that reads cd's has gone so you'll be needing a new drive if that is the case..

Reaction score
I brought one of these but it wont detect it. Looks like the CD lens reader doesn't work. I only brought it 5 months ago from PC World. Would I able to return it for another or do I need to send it off to manufacturer?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gtz101 said:
I brought one of these but it wont detect it. Looks like the CD lens reader doesn't work. I only brought it 5 months ago from PC World. Would I able to return it for another or do I need to send it off to manufacturer?

Take it back to PC World with your receipt, explain the prob and you should get an exchange.

They should deal with it on the spot. If they ask you to leave it there and come back in a few days, insist they deal with it right away.

Reaction score
but legally are they obliged to deal with it straight away? I spoke to LG they said all warranty claims must go through to original retailer. LG don't do repairs directly for things like this.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gtz101 said:
but legally are they obliged to deal with it straight away? I spoke to LG they said all warranty claims must go through to original retailer. LG don't do repairs directly for things like this.

I have no idea of the legalities.

They probably won't even try to prove it's faulty and just do an exchange on your say-so.

It was just a thought I had as they're likely busy at this time of year and may decide to prove it's faulty. And they may not have staff available to deal with it right away.

As I said, just a thought, just take it there and play it by ear, really.

And be sure to take original box if you still have it and everything that came with it, mounting screws, manual, that sort of thing.

Ask a Question