    Ed Mc
    Nam Vet '66-'67
    Semper Fi

    Motor T, Apr 12, 2011

  2. Motor T

    Paul Guest

    Motor T wrote:
    > I'm running XP SP3. My multi dvd recorder seems to be messed up.
    > Bios see's it. My Computer see's it. But the darn thing won't read any
    > type disc I put in it. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling driver.
    > Checked power and sata cable. Did a System Restore. Nothing seems to
    > work. Bios says dma and pio both set to 'auto'. Don't know if that
    > matters? This just started this morning. Anything else I can try? If I
    > need to swap with a known good recorder I'll have to buy it first.
    > When I came home this morning there was a BSOD awaiting me. Stop
    > error: 0X0000000a (0X0000000c,0X00000002,0X00000000,0X804EF275).
    > Something trying to access Memory? I don't know. Help please.

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    "0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

    Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver
    tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at
    a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode
    process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or
    equal to, its own.)

    I'd test using another OS, before jumping to any conclusions. If the
    drive was also broken in Linux, then it's broken. If it works in
    Linux, then something is up with your Windows OS.

    Using another computer, you can download and burn one of these as a test.
    (To burn an ISO9660 file, if you don't own a burner program, you can
    download Imgburn.) If the resulting disc you prepare on another computer,
    can boot this one, then obviously the drive is working.

    http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282163

    Now, once in that environment, you can have the tool scan all hard drive
    partitions. You never know what you'll find. Even without the latest
    virus definitions, you might find something of interest. This is what
    the scanning window looks like. Tick all the boxes here, if you can't
    figure out the crazy scheme they use for identifying partitions (hint: they
    don't actually know the drive letters - the interface is a crock). It takes
    me about 2 hours to run this on 50GB of files.

    http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums...tware/New_Hiren_Kaspersky_Rescue_Disk_Sca.jpg

    *******

    Another reason for this, is an "Upperfilter" problem.

    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

    There are various knowledgebase articles as well. I can't find
    the one for WinXP right now. This one for Vista is similar.
    Instead of using the Fixit, you can use regedit directly.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

    *******

    Of course, some laser on your drive could have died. Or some
    optical component could be dirty. I'd try a few things first,
    before leaping to that conclusion. A DVD/CD can have two lasers,
    at different wavelengths. If one laser fails, it's possible
    the other still works. Test with both CD and DVD media and see.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 12, 2011

  3. Motor T

    Motor T Guest

    On 4/12/2011 1:25 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]

    > me about 2 hours to run this on 50GB of files.
    >
    > http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums...tware/New_Hiren_Kaspersky_Rescue_Disk_Sca.jpg
    >

    > *******
    >
    > Another reason for this, is an "Upperfilter" problem.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us
    >
    > There are various knowledgebase articles as well. I can't find
    > the one for WinXP right now. This one for Vista is similar.
    > Instead of using the Fixit, you can use regedit directly.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
    >
    > *******
    >
    > Of course, some laser on your drive could have died. Or some
    > optical component could be dirty. I'd try a few things first,
    > before leaping to that conclusion. A DVD/CD can have two lasers,
    > at different wavelengths. If one laser fails, it's possible
    > the other still works. Test with both CD and DVD media and see.

    Thank you. Since my CD drive was inoperable I used the regedit
    method. The strings listed contained ONLY the Lower Limit. I deleted
    it but no help. Bought a new drive, installed, everything working
    fine. Must have been a faulty device. This could be a good time to
    open one up and look at the inner workings. Thanks again.
    --
    Ed Mc
    Nam Vet '66-'67

    Motor T, Apr 21, 2011
  4. On 4/21/2011 5:55 AM, Motor T wrote:

    > Thank you. Since my CD drive was inoperable I used the regedit method.
    > The strings listed contained ONLY the Lower Limit. I deleted it but no
    > help. Bought a new drive, installed, everything working fine. Must have
    > been a faulty device. This could be a good time to open one up and look
    > at the inner workings. Thanks again.

    As much as I *hate* not knowing the 'why" on hardware fails (50+ years
    as an electronic tech), pooter hardware is now disposable crap.

    I've tried doing autopsies on bad optical drives, and have found some
    'fixable stuff" Bad sled lube, can do that.

    But the reality is that damned near everything in yer pooter is a
    throw-away item.

    Just buy a new optical drive. Feature creep will seal thwe deal on that.
    --
    "Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
    We're like that crazy old man jumping

    Nobody > (Revisited), Apr 22, 2011