DVD burner vanished

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Linea Recta, Aug 4, 2012.

  1. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    I have a strange problem with my DVD burner since yesterday.
    When running Windows I can't open the tray anymore.
    Also, the device seems vanished from Windows explorer and from hardware
    configuration.

    But when I boot into BIOS, it is still recognised and then I can also open
    the tray normally.

    What can I do?

    Windows XP SP3
    LG GSA-H44N

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 4, 2012

  2. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
    > I have a strange problem with my DVD burner since yesterday.
    > When running Windows I can't open the tray anymore.
    > Also, the device seems vanished from Windows explorer and from hardware
    > configuration.
    >
    > But when I boot into BIOS, it is still recognised and then I can also open
    > the tray normally.
    >
    > What can I do?
    >

    > Windows XP SP3
    > LG GSA-H44N

    It helps to know what "interfering" software you've installed.
    Tools which mount virtual CD images, can upset burner operation.
    Don't know about tray buttons though.

    http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/dvd-tray-wont-open-29555/

    On Linux and Unix boxes, the tray button can be disabled,
    to prevent media with "busy" files, from being removed
    and causing the dependent software to crash. So as far as
    the phenomenon of a button that doesn't work goes, this
    is not unexpected. The button can be disabled by software
    quite easily. It's not like the button is just tied to the
    tray motor directly. If you boot a Linux LiveCD for example,
    by default the button on the tray of the drive with that CD
    in it, will be disabled.

    Sometimes it can be a hardware failure, but your BIOS check
    shows that's not the case.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 4, 2012

  3. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    > Linea Recta wrote:
    >> I have a strange problem with my DVD burner since yesterday.
    >> When running Windows I can't open the tray anymore.
    >> Also, the device seems vanished from Windows explorer and from hardware
    >> configuration.
    >>
    >> But when I boot into BIOS, it is still recognised and then I can also
    >> open the tray normally.
    >>
    >> What can I do?
    >>

    >> Windows XP SP3
    >> LG GSA-H44N

    > It helps to know what "interfering" software you've installed.
    > Tools which mount virtual CD images, can upset burner operation.
    > Don't know about tray buttons though.
    >
    > http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/dvd-tray-wont-open-29555/
    >
    > On Linux and Unix boxes, the tray button can be disabled,
    > to prevent media with "busy" files, from being removed
    > and causing the dependent software to crash. So as far as
    > the phenomenon of a button that doesn't work goes, this
    > is not unexpected. The button can be disabled by software
    > quite easily. It's not like the button is just tied to the
    > tray motor directly. If you boot a Linux LiveCD for example,
    > by default the button on the tray of the drive with that CD
    > in it, will be disabled.
    >
    > Sometimes it can be a hardware failure, but your BIOS check
    > shows that's not the case.

    I now write from my notebook.
    The PC has been having bizarre behavior this evening, being clicking sounds
    (I suppose one of the hard disks) and spontaneous rebooting. The DVD burner
    itself must be OK, because I could boot up from a Macrium Reflect boot DVD.

    This is bad news, I suppose old fashioned IDE hard drives are not sold
    anymore I suppose?

    A glimpse at the concerning PC:

    --
    regards

    PC
    Windows XP Pro SP3 - mobo: Asus P4B266 - cpu: Intel P4 1,6 GHz. - RAM: 1512
    MB. - video: Matrox Marvel G450eTV 32 MB. (AGP) - monitor: 19-inch Medion
    Akoya MD 20119 - sound: SB Audigy 1394 (PCI) - hd: 2 X Maxtor 60 GB. -
    DVD/CD-ROM: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1712 - DVD+RW/+R: LG GSA-H44N - analog:
    Dynalink Lucent Win Modem 56k6 (PCI) - printer: HP DeskJet 720C (parallel) -
    scanner: HP ScanJet 2200C (USB) - keyb: PS/2 MS Internet Keyboard - mouse:
    Logitech Pilot Wheel Mouse Optical (USB) - webcam: Logitech QuickCam Zoom
    (USB) - removables: Maxtor One Touch 120 GB (USB) - Medion 500 GB (USB) -
    Iomega ZipDrive 100 (parallel)

    Linea Recta, Aug 4, 2012
  4. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
    > "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Linea Recta wrote:
    >>> I have a strange problem with my DVD burner since yesterday.
    >>> When running Windows I can't open the tray anymore.
    >>> Also, the device seems vanished from Windows explorer and from
    >>> hardware configuration.
    >>>
    >>> But when I boot into BIOS, it is still recognised and then I can also
    >>> open the tray normally.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do?
    >>>

    >>> Windows XP SP3
    >>> LG GSA-H44N

    >> It helps to know what "interfering" software you've installed.
    >> Tools which mount virtual CD images, can upset burner operation.
    >> Don't know about tray buttons though.
    >>
    >> http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/dvd-tray-wont-open-29555/
    >>
    >> On Linux and Unix boxes, the tray button can be disabled,
    >> to prevent media with "busy" files, from being removed
    >> and causing the dependent software to crash. So as far as
    >> the phenomenon of a button that doesn't work goes, this
    >> is not unexpected. The button can be disabled by software
    >> quite easily. It's not like the button is just tied to the
    >> tray motor directly. If you boot a Linux LiveCD for example,
    >> by default the button on the tray of the drive with that CD
    >> in it, will be disabled.
    >>
    >> Sometimes it can be a hardware failure, but your BIOS check
    >> shows that's not the case.
    >>

    > I now write from my notebook.
    > The PC has been having bizarre behavior this evening, being clicking
    > sounds (I suppose one of the hard disks) and spontaneous rebooting. The
    > DVD burner itself must be OK, because I could boot up from a Macrium
    > Reflect boot DVD.
    >
    > This is bad news, I suppose old fashioned IDE hard drives are not sold
    > anymore I suppose?
    >
    > A glimpse at the concerning PC:

    A good root cause, is +12V power supply rail out of spec. That
    makes the clicking noise.

    This can be caused by placing too many heavy loads on one Molex
    chain. I had that happen when my ATI video card was powered by
    the same Molex power cable chain, as several hard drives. The
    hard drives started clicking. Once the video card was put on its
    own chain, there was "peace in the valley".

    But if the power supply is going out, then a slightly low (11V on 12V
    rail) power output, can be enough to upset storage.

    Think back to what wiring changes you've made recently. It could be
    you reconfigured the wiring, while adding storage.

    Also, if it is the power supply failing, twice now I've received
    advanced warning. If you use fixed speed fans in the computer, you'll
    notice the fixed speed fans start to "wander", and go up and
    down in frequency slightly. The human ear is sensitive to the
    tone of the fan. On my first power supply failure, I noticed
    the fans started to wander, many days before the power supply
    no longer had enough +12V to do anything. The last time
    I tested that (failed) supply, it can't even put out 1 amp of
    current on +12V, before the output voltage begins to drop. So
    the output became very weak, and the current now, isn't even
    enough to run one disk drive all by itself. If you sit the
    supply on the bench, with no load, all the voltage read right.
    But if you put even a tiny electrical load on it, it goes
    out of spec. It's more suited to running a flashlight bulb
    now, than 100-200 watts of computer gear. At least it didn't "blow"
    and take stuff with it.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 4, 2012
  5. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    > Linea Recta wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> It helps to know what "interfering" software you've installed.
    >>> Tools which mount virtual CD images, can upset burner operation.
    >>> Don't know about tray buttons though.
    >>>
    >>> http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/dvd-tray-wont-open-29555/
    >>>
    >>> On Linux and Unix boxes, the tray button can be disabled,
    >>> to prevent media with "busy" files, from being removed
    >>> and causing the dependent software to crash. So as far as
    >>> the phenomenon of a button that doesn't work goes, this
    >>> is not unexpected. The button can be disabled by software
    >>> quite easily. It's not like the button is just tied to the
    >>> tray motor directly. If you boot a Linux LiveCD for example,
    >>> by default the button on the tray of the drive with that CD
    >>> in it, will be disabled.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes it can be a hardware failure, but your BIOS check
    >>> shows that's not the case.
    >>>

    >> I now write from my notebook.
    >> The PC has been having bizarre behavior this evening, being clicking
    >> sounds (I suppose one of the hard disks) and spontaneous rebooting. The
    >> DVD burner itself must be OK, because I could boot up from a Macrium
    >> Reflect boot DVD.
    >>
    >> This is bad news, I suppose old fashioned IDE hard drives are not sold
    >> anymore I suppose?
    >>
    >> A glimpse at the concerning PC:
    >>

    > A good root cause, is +12V power supply rail out of spec. That
    > makes the clicking noise.
    >
    > This can be caused by placing too many heavy loads on one Molex
    > chain. I had that happen when my ATI video card was powered by
    > the same Molex power cable chain, as several hard drives. The
    > hard drives started clicking. Once the video card was put on its
    > own chain, there was "peace in the valley".
    >
    > But if the power supply is going out, then a slightly low (11V on 12V
    > rail) power output, can be enough to upset storage.
    >
    > Think back to what wiring changes you've made recently. It could be
    > you reconfigured the wiring, while adding storage.

    I have made no hardware changes recently. About a year ago I replaced the
    power supply. I think I even posted that event in this group. Since that
    time everything worked fine.

    I have now extracted the "bad tooth" being drive D: which was configured as
    primary slave. Luckily this wasn't the system drive. I can still boot from
    C: and I have changed the swap file back to C: again.
    Also, both DVD devices work again.

    The hard drives were both Maxtor 6L060J3 IDE/ATA 60 GB.
    I had the drives monitored by 'Hard disk sentinel' and already noticed some
    time ago that D: was reported as less than 100%.
    For C: it still reports 'exellent' at this time.

    > Also, if it is the power supply failing, twice now I've received
    > advanced warning. If you use fixed speed fans in the computer, you'll
    > notice the fixed speed fans start to "wander", and go up and
    > down in frequency slightly. The human ear is sensitive to the
    > tone of the fan. On my first power supply failure, I noticed
    > the fans started to wander, many days before the power supply
    > no longer had enough +12V to do anything. The last time
    > I tested that (failed) supply, it can't even put out 1 amp of
    > current on +12V, before the output voltage begins to drop. So
    > the output became very weak, and the current now, isn't even
    > enough to run one disk drive all by itself. If you sit the
    > supply on the bench, with no load, all the voltage read right.
    > But if you put even a tiny electrical load on it, it goes
    > out of spec. It's more suited to running a flashlight bulb
    > now, than 100-200 watts of computer gear. At least it didn't "blow"
    > and take stuff with it.

    That sounds like a 'burn out'. BTW I feel like that myself :-((
    For the moment I assume it's not the power supply, because I'm not going to
    replace the power supply on a yearly basis.

    Some time ago I wrote here about an old hard disk with a broken IDE pin,
    wondering wether the drive would still work. I tried it as a replacement,
    but it was not detected in any way by the BIOS. So tha's another drive I can
    throw away.

    If I can't find some replacement for the broken hard disk, It's inevitable
    I'll have to look out for a modern PC...

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 4, 2012
  6. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
> [...]

    >> supply on the bench, with no load, all the voltage read right.
    >> But if you put even a tiny electrical load on it, it goes
    >> out of spec. It's more suited to running a flashlight bulb
    >> now, than 100-200 watts of computer gear. At least it didn't "blow"
    >> and take stuff with it.

    > That sounds like a 'burn out'. BTW I feel like that myself :-((
    > For the moment I assume it's not the power supply, because I'm not going to
    > replace the power supply on a yearly basis.
    >
    > Some time ago I wrote here about an old hard disk with a broken IDE pin,
    > wondering wether the drive would still work. I tried it as a replacement,
    > but it was not detected in any way by the BIOS. So tha's another drive I can
    > throw away.
    >
    > If I can't find some replacement for the broken hard disk, It's inevitable
    > I'll have to look out for a modern PC...

    1) There are still IDE drives for sale. They've been out of production
    for some time, so it's hard to say where they're coming from.

    2) You can also use a SATA drive, and put an adapter in the back of it.
    I have one of these, and so far it's worked with everything I tried it on.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200156

    StarTech IDE2SAT

    The black part goes into the new SATA drive. The bare gold pins on the back,
    are for a 40 pin IDE connector. It's a bit hard to get the connector on and off
    the gold pins. There is a "Master:Slave" jumper as well. So if you want, you
    can buy two of those, two SATA drives, and connect two SATA drives to one 80 wire
    IDE cable.

    Comes with power cable in the box, for daisy chain connecting it.

    http://ca.startech.com/media/img/products/gallery_large/IDE2SAT.C.jpg

    The main impediment to drive shopping, is whether your system has any drive
    capacity limits. My oldest system, only drives up to 137GB work properly. It
    was limited to 64GB or so, before the BIOS flash update. Most other systems
    here, work past that point. Really old systems, might freeze if a 33GB or larger
    drive was connected, in which case you could try the IDE jumper block "CLIP" jumper.
    That jumper changes the geometry declaration enough, to make the drive work.

    This is an example of a weird one. It claims to be a 7200.10 generation
    drive, yet it has an IDE controller. 80GB capacity. So they're still selling
    IDE drives.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148236

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 4, 2012
  7. Linea Recta

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 17:46:09 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

    >This is an example of a weird one. It claims to be a 7200.10 generation
    >drive, yet it has an IDE controller. 80GB capacity. So they're still selling
    >IDE drives.
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148236

    Ouch, they really punish you on the price. 80 GB for $100.

    Char Jackson, Aug 5, 2012
  8. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Char Jackson wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 17:46:09 -0400, Paul <> wrote:
    >
    >> This is an example of a weird one. It claims to be a 7200.10 generation
    >> drive, yet it has an IDE controller. 80GB capacity. So they're still selling
    >> IDE drives.
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148236

    > Ouch, they really punish you on the price. 80 GB for $100.

    Yup. You really have to love that old computer.

    I'd probably have trouble finding that disk locally, as the big
    box stores won't touch IDE now. And I think my usual supplier of
    hard drives, doesn't have any IDE left either.

    So when you find some product, you really can't complain too much.
    If you have to repair someones old machine, without screwing with
    it too much, it's probably not that bad a deal. Not everyone wants
    my style of "adapter solution". And mechanically, there isn't always
    room to fit an adapter. Some of the smaller cases wouldn't allow it.
    My Sonata with the side mount trays, I don't think it would fit in
    there. Even regular drives, the side panel presses on the cabling.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 5, 2012
  9. Linea Recta

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 16:36:23 +0200, "Linea Recta" <> wrote:

    >I have a strange problem with my DVD burner since yesterday.
    >When running Windows I can't open the tray anymore.
    >Also, the device seems vanished from Windows explorer and from hardware
    >configuration.
    >
    >But when I boot into BIOS, it is still recognised and then I can also open
    >the tray normally.
    >
    >What can I do?
    >

    >Windows XP SP3
    >LG GSA-H44N

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.

    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

    3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

    Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry.
    Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have
    to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

    6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

    7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

    Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help
    you any further.

    8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

    9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

    10. Exit Registry Editor.

    11. Restart the computer.

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 5, 2012
  10. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Unk" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 16:36:23 +0200, "Linea Recta"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a strange problem with my DVD burner since yesterday.
    >>When running Windows I can't open the tray anymore.
    >>Also, the device seems vanished from Windows explorer and from hardware
    >>configuration.
    >>
    >>But when I boot into BIOS, it is still recognised and then I can also open
    >>the tray normally.
    >>
    >>What can I do?
    >>

    >>Windows XP SP3
    >>LG GSA-H44N

    > 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    >
    > 2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    >
    > 3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry
    > subkey:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >
    > 4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    >
    > Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have
    > to remove that entry.
    > Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry
    > entry, you still might have
    > to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
    >
    > 5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    >
    > 6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    >
    > 7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
    >
    > Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this
    > content cannot help
    > you any further.
    >
    > 8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    >
    > 9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    >
    > 10. Exit Registry Editor.
    >
    > 11. Restart the computer.
    >
    > Unk

    I had this done yesterday by Fixit, which did not find any problem...

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 5, 2012
  11. Linea Recta

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 19:39:31 +0200, "Linea Recta" <> wrote:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry.
    Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still mighthave
    to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
    Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help
    you any further.
    8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    10. Exit Registry Editor.
    11. Restart the computer.
    Unk

    >I had this done yesterday by Fixit, which did not find any problem...

    Did you manually check to see if it actually deleted those filters???

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 6, 2012
  12. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
> [...]

    > StarTech IDE2SAT
    >
    > The black part goes into the new SATA drive. The bare gold pins on the
    > back,
    > are for a 40 pin IDE connector. It's a bit hard to get the connector on
    > and off
    > the gold pins. There is a "Master:Slave" jumper as well. So if you
    > want, you
    > can buy two of those, two SATA drives, and connect two SATA drives to
    > one 80 wire
    > IDE cable.
    >
    > Comes with power cable in the box, for daisy chain connecting it.
    >
    > http://ca.startech.com/media/img/products/gallery_large/IDE2SAT.C.jpg
    >
    > The main impediment to drive shopping, is whether your system has any
    > drive
    > capacity limits. My oldest system, only drives up to 137GB work properly.

    I have been looking in the mainboard manual but I can't find any hard
    information about drive capacity limit.
    Asus P4B266 - cpu: Intel P4 1,6 GHz. - RAM: 1512 MB

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 6, 2012
  13. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
    > "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Linea Recta wrote:
    >>> "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> I have made no hardware changes recently. About a year ago I replaced
    >>> the power supply. I think I even posted that event in this group.
    >>> Since that time everything worked fine.
    >>>
    >>> I have now extracted the "bad tooth" being drive D: which was
    >>> configured as primary slave. Luckily this wasn't the system drive. I
    >>> can still boot from C: and I have changed the swap file back to C:
    >>> again.
    >>> Also, both DVD devices work again.
    >>>
    >>> The hard drives were both Maxtor 6L060J3 IDE/ATA 60 GB.
    >>> I had the drives monitored by 'Hard disk sentinel' and already
    >>> noticed some time ago that D: was reported as less than 100%.
    >>> For C: it still reports 'exellent' at this time.

    >>> That sounds like a 'burn out'. BTW I feel like that myself :-((
    >>> For the moment I assume it's not the power supply, because I'm not
    >>> going to replace the power supply on a yearly basis.
    >>>
    >>> Some time ago I wrote here about an old hard disk with a broken IDE
    >>> pin, wondering wether the drive would still work. I tried it as a
    >>> replacement, but it was not detected in any way by the BIOS. So tha's
    >>> another drive I can throw away.
    >>>
    >>> If I can't find some replacement for the broken hard disk, It's
    >>> inevitable I'll have to look out for a modern PC...

    >> 1) There are still IDE drives for sale. They've been out of production
    >> for some time, so it's hard to say where they're coming from.
    >>
    >> 2) You can also use a SATA drive, and put an adapter in the back of it.
    >> I have one of these, and so far it's worked with everything I tried
    >> it on.
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200156
    >>
    >> StarTech IDE2SAT
    >>
    >> The black part goes into the new SATA drive. The bare gold pins on
    >> the back,
    >> are for a 40 pin IDE connector. It's a bit hard to get the
    >> connector on and off
    >> the gold pins. There is a "Master:Slave" jumper as well. So if you
    >> want, you
    >> can buy two of those, two SATA drives, and connect two SATA drives
    >> to one 80 wire
    >> IDE cable.
    >>
    >> Comes with power cable in the box, for daisy chain connecting it.
    >>
    >> http://ca.startech.com/media/img/products/gallery_large/IDE2SAT.C.jpg
    >>
    >> The main impediment to drive shopping, is whether your system has any
    >> drive
    >> capacity limits. My oldest system, only drives up to 137GB work
    >> properly. It

    > I have been looking in the mainboard manual but I can't find any hard
    > information about drive capacity limit.
    > Asus P4B266 - cpu: Intel P4 1,6 GHz. - RAM: 1512 MB

    It's defined by year of origin, amongst other things.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040418...t/support/english/techref/48bithdd/index.aspx

    "Note: Model manufactured after 1st January, 2003 will all
    support 48bit HDD (137 GB HDD)."

    That is interpreted to mean, "designed" after Jan.1,2003. The idea being,
    the IDE interfaces support "double-pumped" register access, which is how
    the drive acquires 48 bit addressing and the handling of larger drives.

    Since your P4B266 is in the table, it supports >137GB IDE drives,
    if BIOS 1007 or later is installed. So P4B266 needed a BIOS update.
    That possibly helps, if booting a partition above 137GB. Not really
    sure what else would matter in there.

    P4B266 Yes 1007

    For earlier motherboards, I have another old FAQ page which listed
    a few motherboards and their limits. Anything after 2003, on IDE, is
    supposed to be OK.

    And for SCSI drives, they don't have the same issue, as the
    command interface is different. Even pseudo-SCSI interface
    devices such as RAID controller chips, when in RAID mode, can
    "hide" the large drive issue. In this case, I'm assuming
    we're still dealing with the IDE ribbon cable interface.
    If you install a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE card, in a non-compliant
    motherboard, that's another way to fix it. As the Ultra133 TX2 is
    ATA/ATAPI 6 level of interface, and handles large drives. (Some
    of my older computers, have a card like that installed. At one
    point, Maxtor even bundled a controller card, with one of
    their ridiculously priced retail hard drives.)

    The support needed, to send 48 bit addresses, is described in
    this proposal. This would pre-date the inclusion of 48 bit
    addresses in the ATA/ATAPI spec. Most of the magic, seems
    to be in the hard drive part.

    http://www.t10.org/t13/technical/e00101r6.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 6, 2012
  14. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    > Linea Recta wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> 1) There are still IDE drives for sale. They've been out of production
    >>> for some time, so it's hard to say where they're coming from.
    >>>
    >>> 2) You can also use a SATA drive, and put an adapter in the back of it.
    >>> I have one of these, and so far it's worked with everything I tried
    >>> it on.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200156
    >>>
    >>> StarTech IDE2SAT
    >>>
    >>> The black part goes into the new SATA drive. The bare gold pins on
    >>> the back,
    >>> are for a 40 pin IDE connector. It's a bit hard to get the connector
    >>> on and off
    >>> the gold pins. There is a "Master:Slave" jumper as well. So if you
    >>> want, you
    >>> can buy two of those, two SATA drives, and connect two SATA drives to
    >>> one 80 wire
    >>> IDE cable.
    >>>
    >>> Comes with power cable in the box, for daisy chain connecting it.
    >>>
    >>> http://ca.startech.com/media/img/products/gallery_large/IDE2SAT.C.jpg
    >>>
    >>> The main impediment to drive shopping, is whether your system has any
    >>> drive
    >>> capacity limits. My oldest system, only drives up to 137GB work
    >>> properly. It

    >> I have been looking in the mainboard manual but I can't find any hard
    >> information about drive capacity limit.
    >> Asus P4B266 - cpu: Intel P4 1,6 GHz. - RAM: 1512 MB
    >>

    > It's defined by year of origin, amongst other things.
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20040418...t/support/english/techref/48bithdd/index.aspx
    >
    > "Note: Model manufactured after 1st January, 2003 will all
    > support 48bit HDD (137 GB HDD)."
    >
    > That is interpreted to mean, "designed" after Jan.1,2003. The idea being,
    > the IDE interfaces support "double-pumped" register access, which is how
    > the drive acquires 48 bit addressing and the handling of larger drives.
    >
    > Since your P4B266 is in the table, it supports >137GB IDE drives,
    > if BIOS 1007 or later is installed. So P4B266 needed a BIOS update.
    > That possibly helps, if booting a partition above 137GB. Not really
    > sure what else would matter in there.
    >
    > P4B266 Yes 1007

    OK, I have bios version 1010. This is the latest version exept for one,
    which is branded as "beta".

    Furtermore, according to this reply:

    http://support.asus.com/faq/detail....a&os=&no=FC4F308B-BA9D-73EF-EAE2-112D10B69093

    the P4B266 is able to work with 200 GB drives. So I could consider getting
    this drive:

    http://www.informatique.nl/110610/western-digital-160gb.html

    Although the price is high per MB base...

    > For earlier motherboards, I have another old FAQ page which listed
    > a few motherboards and their limits. Anything after 2003, on IDE, is
    > supposed to be OK.
    >
    > And for SCSI drives, they don't have the same issue, as the
    > command interface is different. Even pseudo-SCSI interface
    > devices such as RAID controller chips, when in RAID mode, can
    > "hide" the large drive issue. In this case, I'm assuming
    > we're still dealing with the IDE ribbon cable interface.
    > If you install a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE card, in a non-compliant
    > motherboard, that's another way to fix it. As the Ultra133 TX2 is
    > ATA/ATAPI 6 level of interface, and handles large drives. (Some
    > of my older computers, have a card like that installed. At one
    > point, Maxtor even bundled a controller card, with one of
    > their ridiculously priced retail hard drives.)
    >
    > The support needed, to send 48 bit addresses, is described in
    > this proposal. This would pre-date the inclusion of 48 bit
    > addresses in the ATA/ATAPI spec. Most of the magic, seems
    > to be in the hard drive part.
    >
    > http://www.t10.org/t13/technical/e00101r6.pdf

    Concerning 48 bit HDD, this seems supported by P4B266:

    http://support.asus.com.tw/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&NO=501

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 6, 2012
  15. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
    > "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >> P4B266 Yes 1007

    > OK, I have bios version 1010. This is the latest version exept for one,
    > which is branded as "beta".
    >
    > Furtermore, according to this reply:
    >
    > http://support.asus.com/faq/detail....a&os=&no=FC4F308B-BA9D-73EF-EAE2-112D10B69093
    >
    > the P4B266 is able to work with 200 GB drives. So I could consider getting
    > this drive:
    >
    > http://www.informatique.nl/110610/western-digital-160gb.html
    >
    > Although the price is high per MB base...

    The ones still available here, are a little expensive too.

    *******

    One thing that's nice about the smaller drives, is they won't
    have the 4KB sectors on them. I was cursing the two drives I got
    here, with the 4KB sectors and "512e" emulation, because they're
    so slow when dealing with small files. Took twice as long as
    usual to do a backup. They claim you can align partitions on 4KB
    boundaries, and that is supposed to help, but I have multiple
    partitions under WinXP, and I don't think there is any fix for that.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#512e

    There's nothing "Advanced" about that format. It's just a nuisance.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 6, 2012
  16. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    > Linea Recta wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> P4B266 Yes 1007

    >> OK, I have bios version 1010. This is the latest version exept for one,
    >> which is branded as "beta".
    >>
    >> Furtermore, according to this reply:
    >>
    >> http://support.asus.com/faq/detail....a&os=&no=FC4F308B-BA9D-73EF-EAE2-112D10B69093
    >>
    >> the P4B266 is able to work with 200 GB drives. So I could consider
    >> getting this drive:
    >>
    >> http://www.informatique.nl/110610/western-digital-160gb.html
    >>
    >> Although the price is high per MB base...
    >>

    > The ones still available here, are a little expensive too.
    >
    > *******
    >
    > One thing that's nice about the smaller drives, is they won't
    > have the 4KB sectors on them. I was cursing the two drives I got
    > here, with the 4KB sectors and "512e" emulation, because they're
    > so slow when dealing with small files. Took twice as long as
    > usual to do a backup. They claim you can align partitions on 4KB
    > boundaries, and that is supposed to help, but I have multiple
    > partitions under WinXP, and I don't think there is any fix for that.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#512e
    >
    > There's nothing "Advanced" about that format. It's just a nuisance.

    I managed to order a Seagate 160GB IDE 2MB ST3160215ACE on line for 49
    Euros.
    Today I received the drive and I have built it into the PC.
    It was detected by the BIOS properly.

    I did have a few surprises though...
    The drive seemed already formatted.
    Pagefile.sys was back on D: even before I put it back there manually.
    I ran Hard Disk Sentinel test program, which also reads SMART data.
    Performance and Health are excellent, but it also displays "Power on time
    913 days"(!)
    I got no information from the web shop that the drive was second hand...

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 9, 2012
  17. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
    > "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Linea Recta wrote:
    >>> "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    >>>
    >>> OK, I have bios version 1010. This is the latest version exept for one,
    >>> which is branded as "beta".
    >>>
    >>> Furtermore, according to this reply:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.asus.com/faq/detail....a&os=&no=FC4F308B-BA9D-73EF-EAE2-112D10B69093
    >>>
    >>> the P4B266 is able to work with 200 GB drives. So I could consider
    >>> getting this drive:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.informatique.nl/110610/western-digital-160gb.html
    >>>
    >>> Although the price is high per MB base...
    >>>

    >> The ones still available here, are a little expensive too.
    >>
    >> *******
    >>
    >> One thing that's nice about the smaller drives, is they won't
    >> have the 4KB sectors on them. I was cursing the two drives I got
    >> here, with the 4KB sectors and "512e" emulation, because they're
    >> so slow when dealing with small files. Took twice as long as
    >> usual to do a backup. They claim you can align partitions on 4KB
    >> boundaries, and that is supposed to help, but I have multiple
    >> partitions under WinXP, and I don't think there is any fix for that.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#512e
    >>
    >> There's nothing "Advanced" about that format. It's just a nuisance.
    >>

    > I managed to order a Seagate 160GB IDE 2MB ST3160215ACE on line for 49
    > Euros.
    > Today I received the drive and I have built it into the PC.
    > It was detected by the BIOS properly.
    >
    > I did have a few surprises though...
    > The drive seemed already formatted.
    > Pagefile.sys was back on D: even before I put it back there manually.
    > I ran Hard Disk Sentinel test program, which also reads SMART data.
    > Performance and Health are excellent, but it also displays "Power on time
    > 913 days"(!)
    > I got no information from the web shop that the drive was second hand...

    Honesty is hard to find.

    Brand new drives, can come formatted. So that part is not unusual.
    But the power on hours would be set to zero at the factory, before
    the drive shipped.

    I don't know about refurbished drives though. For example, if
    you got a warranty return from Seagate, do they reset the SMART
    on those ? I don't know the answer to that. Check the label
    and see if it says "Refurbished" on it somewhere.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 9, 2012
  18. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Paul" <> schreef in bericht
    > Linea Recta wrote:
    >> "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >>> The ones still available here, are a little expensive too.
    >>>
    >>> *******
    >>>
    >>> One thing that's nice about the smaller drives, is they won't
    >>> have the 4KB sectors on them. I was cursing the two drives I got
    >>> here, with the 4KB sectors and "512e" emulation, because they're
    >>> so slow when dealing with small files. Took twice as long as
    >>> usual to do a backup. They claim you can align partitions on 4KB
    >>> boundaries, and that is supposed to help, but I have multiple
    >>> partitions under WinXP, and I don't think there is any fix for that.
    >>>
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#512e
    >>>
    >>> There's nothing "Advanced" about that format. It's just a nuisance.
    >>>

    >> I managed to order a Seagate 160GB IDE 2MB ST3160215ACE on line for 49
    >> Euros.
    >> Today I received the drive and I have built it into the PC.
    >> It was detected by the BIOS properly.
    >>
    >> I did have a few surprises though...
    >> The drive seemed already formatted.
    >> Pagefile.sys was back on D: even before I put it back there manually.
    >> I ran Hard Disk Sentinel test program, which also reads SMART data.
    >> Performance and Health are excellent, but it also displays "Power on time
    >> 913 days"(!)
    >> I got no information from the web shop that the drive was second hand...

    > Honesty is hard to find.
    >
    > Brand new drives, can come formatted. So that part is not unusual.
    > But the power on hours would be set to zero at the factory, before
    > the drive shipped.
    >
    > I don't know about refurbished drives though. For example, if
    > you got a warranty return from Seagate, do they reset the SMART
    > on those ? I don't know the answer to that. Check the label
    > and see if it says "Refurbished" on it somewhere.

    On the web shop it doesn't say anything about 'refurbished'. It even looks
    new. Today I had them on the phone about this, and the guy told me it was a
    refurbished drive indeed. He said I could have known because it says
    'warranty 6 months' on the web shop. They offered me money back, but I
    decided to keep it and get 5 euro's off because of the unclear conditions. I
    do hope it lives longer than 6 months though...
    The drive performs very fast, in fact much faster than the existent C:
    drive.

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Aug 9, 2012
  19. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    Linea Recta wrote:
    > "Paul" <> schreef in bericht

    >> Honesty is hard to find.
    >>
    >> Brand new drives, can come formatted. So that part is not unusual.
    >> But the power on hours would be set to zero at the factory, before
    >> the drive shipped.
    >>
    >> I don't know about refurbished drives though. For example, if
    >> you got a warranty return from Seagate, do they reset the SMART
    >> on those ? I don't know the answer to that. Check the label
    >> and see if it says "Refurbished" on it somewhere.
    >>

    > On the web shop it doesn't say anything about 'refurbished'. It even
    > looks new. Today I had them on the phone about this, and the guy told me
    > it was a refurbished drive indeed. He said I could have known because it
    > says 'warranty 6 months' on the web shop. They offered me money back,
    > but I decided to keep it and get 5 euro's off because of the unclear
    > conditions. I do hope it lives longer than 6 months though...
    > The drive performs very fast, in fact much faster than the existent C:
    > drive.

    Enjoy your 512 byte physical/512 byte logical drive :)

    That's the "old fashioned" type.

    I have about four 500GB drives here, SATA drives. I suspect,
    based on behavior, they all have 4K sectors underneath.
    Although one of them claims to be 512 byte physical/ 512 byte logical,
    it has the same crappy behavior as the latest drives I got.
    (Doesn't run "smooth" as it should. Transfer rate is like
    "waves of the ocean". Up n' down until you're seasick.)

    The latest drives are 4096 byte physical/512 byte logical,
    otherwise known as "512e" or 512 byte emulated drives. Seagate
    does read/modify/write operations, so at the user level, it
    still looks like a 512 byte sector that an older OS can use. But
    such a scheme exacts a performance penalty.

    Western Digital, I think they make 4096 physical/4096 logical,
    which works seamless on Windows 7 with patch, but needs
    "alignment" elsewhere.

    I've been experimenting the last few days, trying to get the
    4096/512 drive to behave better. And so far I haven't succeeded.
    I crudely aligned a FAT32 partition, using a change to reserved
    sector count, and that didn't do squat for me. Much to my surprise.
    I'm left to conclude, that the cache handling inside the hard
    drive, is about as effective as SMARTDRV from DOS days - it
    needs to dump the cache at regular intervals, causing a several
    second delay until more files can be handled.

    I haven't cracked the performance puzzle yet.

    The fact you've got a 512/512 drive, is something to be happy about.
    I'd be doing a happy dance around the computer right now, if
    that's what I had in front of me. Mainly because I could just
    use it, and no more experiments would be required.

    Paragon makes an alignment utility, but they want $30 for it.
    My problem with that, is I'm particular about who I give
    my credit card details to. And I won't be dealing direct with
    Paragon, because they're in Germany as far as I know. The last
    time I tried to buy software from Germany, my card was declined,
    and I got a phone call later from the credit card company. That
    kinda takes the fun out of it. At the time that happened,
    I actually ended up getting double billed, and it took forever
    to resolve. So I'd just like to buy from someone who
    uses a North American credit card processor.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 9, 2012
  20. Linea Recta

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 16:38:56 -0400, Paul <> wrote:

    >The latest drives are 4096 byte physical/512 byte logical,
    >otherwise known as "512e" or 512 byte emulated drives. Seagate
    >does read/modify/write operations, so at the user level, it
    >still looks like a 512 byte sector that an older OS can use. But
    >such a scheme exacts a performance penalty.

    I'm surprised to learn that the OS knows or cares about such low level
    details. I had expected the IDE interface to hide (abstract) all of
    that from the OS.

    Char Jackson, Aug 9, 2012