Dungeon Keeper II

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No idea why, but I remembered this game tonight and I'm currently installing it.

I've not played this in years, but what fun it was :) It's so old I'm sure this will be the 3rd time I've thought "oh, I must try that again". :lol:

Has anyone else played this before?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've played it. Can't remember being that imnpressed by it to be honest, never did get far with it :( Sorry....

Maybe I shouldda stuck at it.

You can get it for a fiver or less now and I must admit it did look interesting.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's one of those games that you'll love or hate - I like marmite so judge from what what you will ;)

IIRC you aren't keen on RTS games? Some of my favorites are C&C, AOE etc. so this is right up my street :thumb:

Currently going through BioShock again on the hardest settings, I can see myself playing that again in another 5 years too.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, only RTS game I've ever really liked is Starcraft I think.

DK2 did have a wicked sense off humour though, wouldn't mind trying it again.

I don't still have the original game though (it came in a huge red and white box) so I'd probably have to buy it.

One game I would dearly love to play again is Little Big Adventure 2. I never did finish that game though I'm sure I was close to the end of it. Windows 95 IIRC, and I don't know what happened to it either. I probably sold it or px-ed it - mistake :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thread revival time :D

Got DK2 from a GAME store today, it looks as if it's been 'remixed' to work with Vista and has been condensed to a single CD, it was originally published on 2 CD's.

It's in the '3 for a tenner or £5 each' section.

For me, it wouldn't work in Vista, I tried all compatibility modes and admin rights/no admin rights but it just wouldn't run.

I installed it on my XP machine, including supplied patch, and it worked.

But after I reached the 3rd level, it's gone weird on me. The viewpoint keeps zooming all over the place by itself, the view won't stay stable and the same spoken message keeps playing over and over and over, it's something like 'The very rock yawns with expectation at your next brilliant move' or something like that.

The fact the view keeps shifting around by itself makes it unplayable as just as you go to click on something (build a hatchery, for instance) the damn thing moves to another view :mad:

So, disappointing. Seems like I'm destined never to play this game, which is a shame, as up until it developed a mind of it's own, I was enjoying it.

Unless I'm missing something here? :confused:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ian I installed Half life 2 again last week and have been enjoying playing it all over again..

Its the download that I won on PCReview back in 2005 I installed Steam again and the account had been closed, So I sent them a message and they reopened it for me, and there siiting in my account was all my games just waiting for me to download and install..:D

There was

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Lost Coast
Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
Counter Strike Source

I haven't played Lost coast so don't know much about it, if anyone knows more then elaborate..

I do like going over old ground now and again and playing long lost stuff..:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Half Life 2 Lost Coast is basically a demo to show Valve's new (at the time) video physics engine.

It's very short, unfinished, incomplete, but nevertheless quite enjoyable. Worth playing.

Now, about Dungeon Keeper 2...... ;)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ah cheers for that info Mr Flopp's..:thumb:

I shall endeavour to give it a whirl one day..;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Ian. I re-installed DK2 within Vista and on those settings it did actually start but it suffered from a garbled video display.

The picture had fractals coming and going all over. It was hard to even navigate the menu to exit the game.

I have a feeling that my video card (system in sig) may be too highly specced for the game. Whatever the reason, DK2 does not seem to agree with Vista.

Another thing worth mentioning is that when DK2 starts within Vista, Vista reverts to basic video settings so Aero is disabled.

Oh well, it's playing ok in XP. I've just failed the 4th level, incidentally, Lord Ludwig gave me a bashing, lol.

I'm not really that sure what you supposed to do tbh but on reading the manual I note that excavating in the wrong areas can weaken your defences and I should use the spell function more often. We shall see :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
wizkid said:
if its still crashing go into options and disable hardware accleration

It's never actually crashed.

Hardware acceleration was disabled.

Problem within Vista was fractured fractals.

Hmm, good expression that ' 'Fractured Fractals' :D

Reaction score
DK2 for me was a great game, i've got it on CD somwhere but havent played it in Yonks, found it to be a bit dodgy when used with ATI graphics chipset's, but apart from the odd crash great fun! Good playing across the network too! :)

Ask a Question