Dual boot?

Reaction score
:bow:I have completed a new build of hardware and software and I am pretty pleased with my self and installed Windows 8.1 but I have still have to do a dual boot with Zorin but have held off to ensure that W 8.1 is running OK. Would advise to dual boot or install Zorin on the D drive as I have another 2tb drive installed on the PC:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
weeelllllll ...

is your motherboard UEFI compliant?

dual booting Windows & Linux has never been straight forward

the main problem is they use, what is called, a 'bootloader' to initialise. sometimes they talk nice, sometimes they, err, feck up!

I cannot suggest using dual boot ... you do one, or the other. :)

Seven ways to hell

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Instead of going for the dual boot option. Why not run Zorin in a VM like Virtual Box or VMware ? That would make life much easier for you.

Reaction score
Instead of going for the dual boot option. Why not run Zorin in a VM like Virtual Box or VMware ? That would make life much easier for you.

Hi Evan I hve not have heard of a VM, Virtual Boxor or VMware where would I be able to find out about that or do you have a link? :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Running a linux os in a VM like Virtual Box or VMware is not really a good idea for use as a everyday os.
If I remember rightly some functions of an os will not work without some penguin fooey.

If you do dual boot it is a good idea to make a small "boot" partition to put the linux bootloader on. This way leaves the MBR alone and does not disturb its use by Windows.It is recommended to install Windows first which you already have done.

If you do go ahead and try dual booting then for goodness sake do a full clone backup of your Windows install for when things go awry.

:cool:

Ask a Question