Dual Boot: boot.ini queston - also Vista swaps drive letter on partitions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Jamie Hunter [MS], Oct 12, 2006.

  1. Hey Holiday, not directly my area, but I can give you some quick answers...

    Vista uses a new database called "BCD" to contain boot configuration data
    and a whole new architecture for booting using a brand new boot component
    called "BOOTMGR". It never tries to understand "boot.ini" or how to boot an
    earlier version of windows. When you select the "Earlier Version" option, it
    runs NTLDR, and uses that to boot the earlier version of Windows.

    Regards BCDEDIT, it's a command line editor. You should use this in an
    "elevated" command prompt (right-click on the "Command" icon and click "Run
    as Administrator"). If you type "BCDEDIT /?" it lists all the options, and
    how to get more information on it's use.

    Regards drive letters, there have been lots of problems in the past where
    applications expect "C:" to be the volume that contains the OS. Vista
    shuffles drive letters around to help such older programs work. It's bit me
    on occasion, until I got used to it. One thing that helps is to utilize the
    ability to label volumes.
    --
    Jamie Hunter [MS]

    Jamie Hunter [MS], Oct 12, 2006

  2. Jamie Hunter [MS]

    Holiday Guest

    Thanks for the info Jamie.
    Interesting info

    I also now just found this on the subject if anyone else is
    interested.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af778.mspx

    Holiday

    Holiday, Oct 12, 2006

  3. A much easier way is to use VistaBootPro, which can be installed on Vista
    and/or XP, and allows for easy editing of the BCD. You can obtain it from:
    http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    Mike Bernstein

    Mike Bernstein, Oct 12, 2006
  4. "Holiday" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for the info Jamie.
    > Interesting info
    >
    > I also now just found this on the subject if anyone else is
    > interested.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af778.mspx

    If you need to get rid of Vista quickly (for an update, for example) you can use
    the Windows Xp Recovery console and fixBoot to restore the old boot.ini system.

    [I was unable to install Vista RC1 and RC2 until I did this, since I had a boot
    from Beta 2 there... ]

    Word of caution: Should you have your main OS on the partition flagged as Bootable
    Vista might do some 'fun' with it, at least that is what happened with my XP64bit.

    Safest thing is to use your BIOS to select 2 Boot Drives and alternate between
    them depending on what you want to run, that way you avoid the hassle altogether.
    [Thats what I am going to do next update... As well as backup up.. often..]

    --
    ---
    ///Terje Alexander Barth

    Holiday, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Jamie Hunter [MS]

    Holiday Guest

    WOW just noticed my time is wrong... That's the second time I've had
    to correct it. (or going to)

    Holiday, Oct 13, 2006