Driver Problem with Via Tech. Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Guest, Jun 9, 2004.

    I hope somebody else has had this problem. I recently had problems with my Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card, so I was forced to use the integrated sound on my motherboard. Now, its a 5.1 Surround Sound directx 9.0a chip, the Via VT8233A. I first used the supplied driver CD from my motherboard(Epox 8k3A+), but the driver on that CD was very old. I went to Via Arena and downloaded the latest driver, the Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver, that was suppose to be Windows XP Compatible, but now I'm not sure. The original driver from the motherboard CD would cause my computer to crash regularly. Now this new Driver is better, not as many crashs, but I still do get some. These crashs never happen when I'm using the computer, only when the computer has sat, unused for an extended time. Anybody has any suggestions that would be great. Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 9, 2004

    Rich Barry Guest

    Nate, I have the same Motherboard. Go here and download the Realtec
    Driver and see if that works
    better. http://www.epox.com/USA/downloads.asp

    Rich Barry, Jun 10, 2004

    I went to Epox and tried to download that driver, I clicked on the download link and it said the page was no longer available, I then tried to right-click on a, sav the target as and it said, "cannot download from epox". They must have taken that driver off the website. I will keep looking and trying to find this driver.

    Guest, Jun 10, 2004

    Rich Barry Guest

    Nate, try here. http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/ac97.html

    Rich Barry, Jun 10, 2004

    Thanks for the link to get that driver. After I downloaded it, I still don't get to use the main program called Soundman.exe. I see it in the Windows folder, but when I try to open it, it starts running, but the program doesn't come up. The only way I know its running is when I open the task manager I can see it there in the list of processes. That program is what lets you control the input and output controls of the sound. If you have any ideas, that would be appreciated. Thanks again.

    Guest, Jun 10, 2004

    Rich Barry Guest

    Nate, the only thing I could think of is to go to C:\Windows\System32
    Folder. Scroll down and look for
    SndVol32.exe. Rt click on it and select Send to Desktop as shortcut.

    Rich Barry, Jun 11, 2004