Dripping 78 and 45 HP cartridges

Discussion in 'Printers' started by Tamara Ronsweig, Oct 29, 2009.

  1. I've been using an HP PhotoSmart P1100 for the past 10 years. I don't
    print a lot, a set of cartridges will last me a year. Just put in a new
    pair of cartridges and inspected the area where the heads park. The area
    was filled to the top with dried ink! Here's a picture of the area filled
    with ink:

    http://i35.tinypic.com/2llyi4m.jpg

    I was able to carefully pry out gobs of dried ink, it was almost like
    plastic or putty. Put in the new cartridges about 3 weeks ago. Now it
    looks like the black 45 cartridge is oozing out stuff:

    http://i34.tinypic.com/xsjh1.jpg

    The thing prints ok sometimes. Just printed out a 12-page PDF for
    upgrading from XP to Windows 7. Six of the pages have defects, mostly
    random ink splatters. I'm getting pissed. I figured out that I can install
    the printer in Windows 7 as a DeskJet 930c as there's no support for the
    P1100 natively.

    Now it seems like HP's method to get people to buy more cartridges is to
    have them ooze out ink even if the thing isn't printing. Am I buying bad
    cartridges or is it time to throw this printer in an electronic recycling
    heap and buy something new?

    Tamara Ronsweig, Oct 29, 2009

  2. Tamara Ronsweig

    tomcas Guest

    Tamara Ronsweig wrote:
    > I've been using an HP PhotoSmart P1100 for the past 10 years. I don't
    > print a lot, a set of cartridges will last me a year. Just put in a new
    > pair of cartridges and inspected the area where the heads park. The area
    > was filled to the top with dried ink! Here's a picture of the area filled
    > with ink:
    >
    > http://i35.tinypic.com/2llyi4m.jpg
    >
    > I was able to carefully pry out gobs of dried ink, it was almost like
    > plastic or putty. Put in the new cartridges about 3 weeks ago. Now it
    > looks like the black 45 cartridge is oozing out stuff:
    >
    > http://i34.tinypic.com/xsjh1.jpg
    >
    > The thing prints ok sometimes. Just printed out a 12-page PDF for
    > upgrading from XP to Windows 7. Six of the pages have defects, mostly
    > random ink splatters. I'm getting pissed. I figured out that I can install
    > the printer in Windows 7 as a DeskJet 930c as there's no support for the
    > P1100 natively.
    >
    > Now it seems like HP's method to get people to buy more cartridges is to
    > have them ooze out ink even if the thing isn't printing. Am I buying bad
    > cartridges or is it time to throw this printer in an electronic recycling
    > heap and buy something new?

    The oozing of black ink is due to the lack of vacuum in the foil bag
    inside the cartridge. Don’t confuse this with the need for the printer
    to occasionally clean the print heads by spitting out ink into this
    area, which is perfectly normal. If you are buying refilled cartridges
    it’s possible it was refilled incorrectly and a partial vacuum was not
    created in the cartridge during the process. If you were buying brand
    new HP cartridges then the ink you see in the spittoon is perfectly
    normal and necessary.

    tomcas, Oct 29, 2009

  3. Tamara Ronsweig

    Al Guest

    On Oct 28, 10:51 pm, Tamara Ronsweig <> wrote:
    > I've been using an HP PhotoSmart P1100 for the past 10 years. I don't
    > print a lot, a set of cartridges will last me a year. Just put in a new
    > pair of cartridges and inspected the area where the heads park. The area
    > was filled to the top with dried ink! Here's a picture of the area filled
    > with ink:
    >
    > http://i35.tinypic.com/2llyi4m.jpg
    >
    > I was able to carefully pry out gobs of dried ink, it was almost like
    > plastic or putty. Put in the new cartridges about 3 weeks ago. Now it
    > looks like the black 45 cartridge is oozing out stuff:
    >
    > http://i34.tinypic.com/xsjh1.jpg
    >
    > The thing prints ok sometimes. Just printed out a 12-page PDF for
    > upgrading from XP to Windows 7. Six of the pages have defects, mostly
    > random ink splatters. I'm getting pissed. I figured out that I can install
    > the printer in Windows 7 as a DeskJet 930c as there's no support for the
    > P1100 natively.
    >
    > Now it seems like HP's method to get people to buy more cartridges is to
    > have them ooze out ink even if the thing isn't printing. Am I buying bad
    > cartridges or is it time to throw this printer in an electronic recycling
    > heap and buy something new?

    Looks about normal to me with a printer using those 45 and 78 carts. I
    have a number of them. When they get bad I fetch the globs out and
    hose the area with Super Clean, which is an ink solvent. Then I push a
    replacement pad under and I'm ready to go a long time. If your cart is
    dripping it is defective or improperly filled.
    I'm riding XP as long as possible.

    Al, Oct 29, 2009