Windows XP downloads

Reaction score
hi,

when i try to download a file off the web, why does it always say corrupt file? this has happened a lot of the time now and even my antivirus cannot update because according to windows the update files are corrupt, surely all files cannot be corrupt.

i am using windows xp professonal, internet explorer 6 and using windows firewall.

i reckon there is a probkem with a particular system file inside windows which deals with installs but not sure which one.

any ideas?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Can you install programs from other sources OK, like a CD for instance?

Is Nortons up to date?

Are you scanning your downloded files for viruses before installing?

Do any of your downloads have md5sum's to check them against?

Are you using an anti-spyware & adware program such as AdAware V1.05? If not, do so.

And how are you downloading the files? (dial-up; ADSL; Cable).

Reaction score
is this when download anything from any site?

eg if you download an image or document, does that work ok?

at this stage it could be anything causing the problem from the TCP/IP stack to your network card to spyware.

Reaction score
cheers for the replies folks.,

i am connecting to the internet via dsl (tiscali broadband).

The error occurs on anything which is an executable file (exe and com) and which uses installsheild to install to the computer.

i have never came across this before. it seems to freeze on everything that i install and prompts messages such as 'setup files are corrupt' , etc..

basically installation problems, in the meantime i have been running symantec online virus scanner which hasnt found anything yet.

i am unable to install my antivirus due to this problem (as i have just reformatted and installed windows xp pro) this is another computer of mine which has never ran before, thats why i reformatted the hdd and installed windows.

hope this helps

barrie

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's certainly an odd one. Presumably all other programs install OK?

Try installing one of your downloads in safe mode.

If I had to gamble, I'd say you're getting corrupt downloads. I don't suppose you could get a friend to burn a few of those proggies to CD for you so you could try loading the programs from CD, from a downloaded source other than your own?

Did I explain that clearly? Probably not, lol, but I think you get the idea ;)

Reaction score
i am having the same problem... my .exe downloads always fail, with a bad CRC being the usual reason. if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Corrupted downloads are usually the result of a lurking hardware problem.
It can be:
HDD, or the disk controller
Memory issue
Mobo
NIC.

Since your os is loading and running, likely the hdd, and the disk contoller are ok.
I usually recommend running memtestx86 (google it up) overnite looping. if it reports any errors, you;ve got a problem.

There are other ways of testing the hdd and mobo/cpu parts, which are a little more involved. Not being able to install anything or get a valid download will make this very difficult. The antivirus programs checksum their updates, so they catch corruption very quickly. you can only isolate the problme by elimination. Try what flopps suggested, do the d/l on another pc, burn it to cd and try the install from the cd. if it works, then look to the network card and memory as the culprits.

Reaction score
Hi All.
Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
You need the windows XP cd.
Hope this fix the problem...:)

Ask a Question