    Any ideas on how to get rid of this?

    TIA for any help

    Jim

    Jim Irwin, May 2, 2004

  2. It's your configuration and under your control.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329570&Product=winxp

    Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

    rms

    Rob Schneider, May 2, 2004
  3. Jim Irwin

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Tools/Options>security tab, 4th box.

    Jim Macklin, May 2, 2004
  4. Jim Irwin

    Jason Tsang Guest

    If you are sure the attachement is safe...

    Goto Tools, Options
    Then goto the Security tab
    Uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
    potentially be a virus"

    Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

    Microsoft implemented this change to prevent users from inadvertedly
    executing viruses and other bad code within unexpected attachments. It is
    ALWAYS a bad to open an unexpected attachment. Verify the sender sent the
    attachment before opening.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    Jason Tsang, May 2, 2004
  5. Greetings --

    Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
    protect you. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment actually
    contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of those file
    types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook Express,
    Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow attachments to
    be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" option, assuming
    you trust the source, of course. The wiser course of action, however,
    would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as outlined in the KB
    articles below:

    Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

    Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

    OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    Bruce Chambers, May 3, 2004
  6. Jim Irwin

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 3, 2004
  7. Jim Irwin

    Alex Nichol Guest

    Jim Irwin wrote:

    >I've lately been getting an advisoru that "OE has
    >determined that the attachment is potentially dangerous"
    >and is not allowing me to open, mostly text attachments.

    There is a setting in OE - Tools - Options - Security page for 'do not
    allow attachments to be saved or opened that might contain a virus'.
    Since SP1 that has been on by default. Open and save ought really to
    have separate settings: but no

    Bournemouth, U.K. 8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

    Alex Nichol, May 3, 2004