    LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
    printing.

    Thanks

    David Levine, Apr 12, 2004

  2. In news:1b7fa01c420cc$1ccfbc90$,
    David Levine <> posted their thoughts,
    then I offered mine
    > I am having problems with workstations. When a user
    > first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
    > while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
    > use the same resources. Relogging will allow them to
    > once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
    > 2000 server pro. The problem comes when connecting to
    > either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server. Anyone
    > know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
    > LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
    > printing.
    >
    > Thanks

    accidental double post?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Apr 12, 2004

  3. David Levine

    Herb Martin Guest

    "David Levine" <> wrote in message
    > I am having problems with workstations. When a user
    > first logs on, they can access any server, but after a
    > while, the name/password screen comes up if they try to
    > use the same resources.

    What kind of resource? Fileshare?

    > Relogging will allow them to
    > once again connect. I am running Active Directory on
    > 2000 server pro.

    No, you are not.

    You might be running it on Win2000 SERVER, or pro is
    the Workstation product.

    > The problem comes when connecting to
    > either a raid on an NT system or a 2000 server.

    Authentication has little to do with the hardware disk system.

    > Anyone
    > know why the connection may (time out)? The networked
    > LOB software works fine at all times as do the network
    > printing.

    What LOB software?

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Apr 12, 2004
  4. David Levine

    David Levine Guest

    Yes.. sorry.. Verizon is giving me problems today

    David Levine, Apr 13, 2004
  5. David Levine

    Guest Guest

    yes.. filesharing - network storage space.

    OK then.. windows 2000 server for the ADS and xp
    professional multilanguage for the workstations

    the authentication problem is that the domain login seems
    to expire.. I dont understand why the name/password
    screen would come up.. it comes up if I try to go into
    another XP system too.

    The LOB software is Microsoft Attain.. formerly Navision
    Attain

    Guest, Apr 13, 2004
  6. David Levine

    AlbertoDiogo Guest

    Hello Ace,

    I had exactly the same behaviour with a Windows XP Pro as client on a Windows 2000 server network.
    I had to uninstall and reinstall network card software using original drivers. By some strange reason without any configuration windows changed driver and machine was losing connection after a few minutes.

    Alberto

    AlbertoDiogo, Apr 13, 2004
  7. In news:1bcdb01c420e4$c3dc17f0$,
    <>
    posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > yes.. filesharing - network storage space.
    >

    > OK then.. windows 2000 server for the ADS and xp
    > professional multilanguage for the workstations
    >
    > the authentication problem is that the domain login seems
    > to expire.. I dont understand why the name/password
    > screen would come up.. it comes up if I try to go into
    > another XP system too.
    >
    > The LOB software is Microsoft Attain.. formerly Navision
    > Attain

    David, we'll need more specific configuration information at this time. Can
    we see an ipconfig /all from the client and from your domain controller
    please? Can you also state for us your AD DNS domain name?

    What sort of errors are in the Event viewer (any machine)? Please post the
    Event ID #s please.

    As for the LOB s/w, it wouldn't really matter what software you're running,
    since assuming that authentication to it's resources are thru AD, then we
    need to look away from it, unless you;re saying the data you are trying to
    access is through Attain itself?

    You also said something in the other thread about the name changing on the
    start menu ?

    Does this happen to all your clients or one specific machine?

    Please post that info above so we can eliminate some of the obvious
    possibilities.

    Thanks

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Apr 13, 2004
  8. David Levine

    Herb Martin Guest

    My systems lose connections but generally reconnect and
    never require 're-authentication' during a single logon.

    That's the normal case.

    Have you searched the MS knowledge base?

    It sounds like a weird GPO setting or the machines are
    losing the connections to the DCs -- are you DCs all
    available?

    I don't think it's your DCs but what the heck, have you
    run DCDiag on EACH DC?

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Apr 13, 2004
  9. David Levine

    Sonny Guest

    could it be something as simple as dhcp lease renewing, returning a nack?

    Sonny, Apr 13, 2004
  10. David Levine

    Herb Martin Guest

    "Sonny" <> wrote in message
    > could it be something as simple as deco lease renewing, returning a nack?

    Ok, to fill this in:

    Multiple DHCP servers WITHOUT overlapping scopes (and exclusions)
    One nacks the others renewal (fairly short lease periods
    which correspond [2x perhaps] to his symptoms)
    Client re-binds and gets a new address...
    This causes DCs to require re-authentication of client MACHINE????
    This causes DCs to require re-authentication of client USER????

    Is that what you have in mind?

    I don't know if that happens but it would not shock me.

    --
    Herb Martin

    Herb Martin, Apr 13, 2004