    name ,do I need to register this domain name in hosting company or just any
    name will work?

    Thanks.

    jakein2008, Jul 22, 2008

  2. jakein2008

    Sudharson AN Guest

    Hi,

    If this machine is a stand alone machine, then any name would do. If this
    machine is going to be a part of a domain, you need to enter the FQDN (Fully
    Qualified Domain Name) along with the right credentials that have permissions
    to join this machine to the domain.

    Hope this helps!!!

    Regards
    Sudharson AN

    Sudharson AN, Jul 22, 2008

  3. Hello jakein2008,

    You can use the name you like. But make sure that it always looks like company.loc
    and not only company. If you make it only company without the the .loc or
    ..org or .whatever, you can become unwanted problems. These so named sinlge
    label domain names should be avoided. It is also good practise to choose
    only 3 characters at the end.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber, Jul 22, 2008
  4. jakein2008

    jakein2008 Guest

    Hi, thank you for your answer.

    Do i need to register my domain in the hosting company for me to use active
    directory and send email from that domain?

    Thanks.

    jakein2008, Jul 23, 2008
  5. Hello jakein2008,

    Your public internet domain name has to be registered and your ISP has to
    make the settings that mail can arrive at your mailserver. Your internal
    domain name from AD is not needed.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber, Jul 23, 2008
  6. jakein2008

    jakein2008 Guest

    If I use internal domain name , can I send email from this domain name?

    Thanks.

    jakein2008, Jul 23, 2008
  7. Hello jakein2008,

    This is all based on the DNS settings inside your domain and also on the
    settings configured at your provider site, to route email to your mailserver.
    I would suggest to post to the DNS NG to get the correct infos about configuration
    of DNS for mail sending and receiving about your provider.

    microsoft.public.win2000.dns
    microsoft.public.windows.server.dns

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber