Does Outlook Security impact Palm Desktop?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Third-Party Utilities' started by Donald Cole, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Donald Cole

    Donald Cole Guest

    I use Palm Pilot and sync to Outlook for everything except
    my Expense records. I have tried to upgrade Palm to 4.1
    and get the errors below. Tech support at Palm Pilot said
    that it was my computer doing this. I recently downloaded
    the Outlook security patches and notice that when I do a
    hot sync, that I have to check a box to allow the hot sync
    access to my contact list. I am wondering if this new
    security is something that is keeping me from being able
    to upgrade. Hope someone can help out

    Detailed Description: Trying to upgrade to 4.1 and get the
    following
    message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a
    network resource
    that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an
    alternate path to
    a folder containing the installation package "Palm
    Desktop.msi" in the
    box below.

    I clicked Browse and found the folder with the file and
    clicked on that
    one only to get the following message:

    The file C:\Download\Palm Desktop Setup Files\Palm
    Desktop.msi is not a
    valid installation package for the product Palm Desktop.
    Try to find the
    installation package "Palm Desktop.msi" in a folder from
    which you can
    install Palm Desktop.

    When that didn't work several times I cancelled and got
    the following
    message:

    Error 1714. The older version of Palm Desktop cannot be
    removed. Contact
    your technical support group.

    Donald Cole, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Two different problems, really - the reason you're being prompted is because
    your older version of the Palm Hotsync software can't deal properly with the
    Outlook security updates. So in that sence, Palm support is correct.
    However, if you aren't able to upgrade your Palm Desktop software, that's a
    Palm software problem entirely and has nothing to do with Outlook.

    I'd try downloading the full Palm Desktop 4.1 (or whatever the latest
    version is) again and try it again....it shouldn't require that you
    uninstall first.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 19, 2004