does microsoft approve of their name on malware-sites? how to repo

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Spyware Community' started by TigR, Oct 5, 2008.

  1. TigR

    TigR Guest

    I have tried to search for "kenwood manual walkie 240" through google and the
    site-link:

    pb-casual.com/ps/9/pages.php?p=14439

    relays you to

    http://your-windows-scanner.com/scan/

    which claims to be safe and able to show you how your current security
    settings are.

    also with a load of popup-windows it tries to convince you (and not advanced
    users will be convinced) to install the program to fix your settings and all
    the so-called infected files it finds during the "scan".

    the file it tries to install is called:

    SystemAntivirus2008.exe

    from http://upgrade-soft-ware-now.com

    doesn't microsoft own a place where you simply can type in the site and
    there will be an employe looking into it?

    if not, it's hereby passed on to this community :)

    TigR, Oct 5, 2008

  2. TigR

    Stu Guest

    When IE8 is released first quarter of next year (I think), the short answer
    will be Yes - thru the browser itself where there is a Smart Screen Filter
    option to check websites or report unsafe ones. As of now IE8 is at Beta2 so
    I would not like to suggest using it on these newsgroups unless you are
    confident of dealing with the pitfalls of beta software.

    Stu

    Stu, Oct 5, 2008

  3. TigR

    Engel Guest

    Talking about rogues

    <http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/02/rogue-antivirus-a-closer-look-at-win32-antivirusxp.aspx>

    Beware and goog luck
    -=-

    Engel, Oct 5, 2008
  4. TigR

    Stu Guest

    Re: does microsoft approve of their name on malware-sites? how to

    Nice job Dave. I`m a McAfee freek .. plus of course.. what else??
    With IE8 its being a bit of a naughty boy ...

    Stu

    Stu, Oct 9, 2008