Does Group Policy interact with AD sites and services

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Group Policy' started by JamesKirkuss@googlemail.com, May 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I will be creating a new S&S container with a new subnet for a new
    site in AD, I am wondering do I need to create a new OU for this or
    can I use an existing OU in AD to deploy Group Polcy and application
    deployment.

    My situation is I am moving users to a new office but would like to do
    this with the least admin overhead as possible so would like to use
    the OU the users are in and just create a new S7S container. The
    existing servers in the old office will be moved along with the users
    so I may get away with just reconfiguring the existing S&S container
    which would be great.

    Any tips on moving sites and OU would be welcome.

    Regards,

    James.

    , May 8, 2007

  2. Kurt Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I will be creating a new S&S container with a new subnet for a new
    > site in AD, I am wondering do I need to create a new OU for this or
    > can I use an existing OU in AD to deploy Group Polcy and application
    > deployment.
    >
    > My situation is I am moving users to a new office but would like to do
    > this with the least admin overhead as possible so would like to use
    > the OU the users are in and just create a new S7S container. The
    > existing servers in the old office will be moved along with the users
    > so I may get away with just reconfiguring the existing S&S container
    > which would be great.
    >
    > Any tips on moving sites and OU would be welcome.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > James.

    If everything is moving, why do you need to reconfigure anything? Can't
    you just use the same subnet as before? If you leave everything the
    same, the only thing you'll need to change is the IP address of the WAN
    link to the new site (which should be completely transparent to Windows).

    ....kurt

    Kurt, May 9, 2007

    Hi,

    Our WAn team are using a new subnet for the new site so will have to
    create a new connection in sites and services, they are doing this so
    we can test the new subnet whilst the old 1 is in use, then over a
    weekend we will move servers, users, etc to new subnet and diable the
    old.

    Can I still use the old OU which is in place in the old subnet? and
    just add the new PC's to the old OU and keep our login scripts,
    application deployment group policies in the old container.

    Thanks.

    , May 9, 2007