Windows XP documents and settings/owner/local settings

Reaction score
In windows XP how do i access documents and settings/owner/local settings? When I run malwarebytes it goes into this folder and is there for ever. I would like to acces this and delete what is in there but I do not know how to get there.
Any help would be appriciated.

Reaction score
Follow these steps!!
1. Go to my computer
2. Click on "Tools"
3. Go to "Folder options"
4. Go to "View"
5. Then click on the "Show hidden files and folders" Tab

Then you can go to the Documents and Settings/Owner/Local settings.

I am sure you will succeed but make sure you follow the first 5 steps after everything so that you can hide the files again. Some system files need to be kept hidden to avoid being removed or deleted accidentally

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I followed your steps and I do find the owner's folder now but now I am denied access to open this folder.

How do I get access to this? Do I have to be I have to be the administrator? If this is the case, I am selected as an administrator when I log on but I think there is a main administrator that you need possibly for this. If this is the case how do I become that person?

Thanks again for any info on this.

Daboone

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's possible you may have a nasty within that folder which is preventing you from opening it.

Try to access it within safe mode.

Reaction score
I totally agree with Floppybotstomp, you may have a nasty/ virus, that is preventing you from viewing the contents of the folder.

I would suggest that you update the anti-malwarebytes installed on your PC together with the antivirus that you have, then when you successfully update them, You have to boot your computer into the safe mode.
Before you access the folder that "contains the virus", scan your PC with Malwarebytes and the antivirus (still in the safe mode), then you can try to open the folder after the full scan of both engines. Good luck

Reaction score
I can not open the folder is safe mode. I have been updating malwarebytes but I have not run it in safe mode. I will try that tonight as it takes almost 8 hours to run malwarebytes.

Thanks

Reaction score
If you can not open the folder in safe mode. Then you must right-click on the "Local Settings" folder and go its properties and un-tick the Hidden tab, ( just to unhide it) and do a full scan with the Malwarebytes.

Reboot your PC and see if you can access it (not in safe mode)

Remember that viruses have a tendency of replicating themselves, hence filling up the memory and making your PC super slow, it might be the case with the virus in your PC. If you don't succeed this time, try to run the system restore utility. Good luck once again

Ask a Question