Documents and Settings folder contains several User and Owner folders.

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by DD, May 4, 2005.

  1. DD

    DD Guest

    The Documents and Settings folder on my wife's XP Pro computer contains
    the following sub folders:-
    All Users
    All Users Windows
    Default User
    Default user Windows
    Owner
    Owner MY-D70LG8YM8U
    Owner ~1~MY-

    Each of these sub folders contain other sub/sub folders. The Owner
    ~1~MY- folder contains two folders with nothing in them.Some of the
    contents are the same but others contain additional files and folders.

    Should all these folders be there and if not, what would be the best
    way of correcting the situation?
    DD

    DD, May 4, 2005

  2. DD <> wrote:

    > The Documents and Settings folder on my wife's XP Pro computer contains
    >the following sub folders:-
    >All Users
    >All Users Windows
    >Default User
    >Default user Windows
    >Owner
    >Owner MY-D70LG8YM8U
    >Owner ~1~MY-
    >
    > Each of these sub folders contain other sub/sub folders. The Owner
    >~1~MY- folder contains two folders with nothing in them.Some of the
    >contents are the same but others contain additional files and folders.

    You can delete the folder that is almost empty.
    Type
    SET
    at a DOS prompt and read the values for ALLUSERSPROFILE and
    USERPROFILE. These are the folders currently in use. You can delete
    the duplicates that include the same name.
    Leave the "Default" folders alone.
    Deleting these items is possible from the Safe Mode only: "A
    Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222).

    --
    (tm)

    Thorsten Matzner, May 4, 2005

  3. DD

    DD Guest

    Re: Documents and Settings folder contains several User and Ownerfolders.

    I really appreciate your answer, thanks for bothering! Just one thing,
    could you elaborate as to what you meant by "You can delete the

    DD, May 4, 2005
  4. DD <> wrote:

    > I really appreciate your answer, thanks for bothering! Just one thing,
    >could you elaborate as to what you meant by "You can delete the
    >duplicates that include the same name"?

    For
    >>>All Users
    >>>All Users Windows

    If you find out that All Users is the folder in use, you can delete
    All Users Windows.

    --
    (tm)

    Thorsten Matzner, May 7, 2005