"Document not saved" when target is network share

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Crashes' started by John Lawler, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. John Lawler

    John Lawler Guest

    Hi, I've done a couple of hours of research and experimentation on this
    problem so far and have gotten mostly no where.

    I have a client who just installed Office 2007 (on Windows XP SP3) in an
    environment where we're running an NT 4 Server as the Domain controller and
    file server (yes I know, it's hopelessly outdated and unsupported, but
    please, if that's all the input you have, stop reading now).

    It seems that everyone who's had this problem in Office 2007+ is having it
    on Vista and that it might be related to Offline Files (we've disable that,
    and it does no good), etc. I don't think those scenarios apply to us.

    The network location we're trying to save to is one of the shares on the NT
    4 server we've always used for most shared files and which has never been a
    problem (including through Office 2003). I gather that some extra security
    attributes are possibly required now w/ 2007+ that I'm guessing may not be
    properly set on my NT 4 shares. I've already verified that they're enabled
    for Full Control, and then even set them up with Special Access and granted
    all permissions except Take Ownership.

    Does anyone have any insight into what may've changed with Office 2007 and
    perhaps have a vague memory of how these security settings are directly (or
    at all) compatible with NT 4 (as in, pehaps NT 4 does not support the
    permission types that are now required, and thus Office 2007 thinks the
    permissions are denied)?

    That's my best guess. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you may have.

    For the record, we have loose plans for moving off NT 4 server within the
    next 1-2 years, but frankly, this has been one of the first hard problems
    we've really had with the server software (at least I think that's what it
    is), but if I can't solve this now, my customer may have to revert to his
    previous version of Office until we do that.

    John Lawler, Apr 15, 2010

  2. John Lawler

    Ian Maffett Guest

    Same here...

    Might have been a recent update? I have the exact same problem (I know, how many others will we find on NT4?) Stranger yet, however, is the fact that I have 2 XP Pro SP3 boxes with O-2007 Basic where one works just fine... That's got me pulling my hair out - have tried everything I can think of from the MSKB-291204 [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291204]
    to removing Office, cleaning registry of it and reinstalling with no avail. Right now, I am about to do a system restore to the previous checkpoint followed by removing SP3 as a more drastic measure. Not that I want to...
    I'll update
    -Ian

    John Lawler wrote:

    "Document not saved" when target is network share
    15-Apr-10

    Hi, I have done a couple of hours of research and experimentation on thi
    problem so far and have gotten mostly no where

    I have a client who just installed Office 2007 (on Windows XP SP3) in a
    environment where we are running an NT 4 Server as the Domain controller an
    file server (yes I know, it is hopelessly outdated and unsupported, bu
    please, if that is all the input you have, stop reading now)

    It seems that everyone who is had this problem in Office 2007+ is having i
    on Vista and that it might be related to Offline Files (we have disable that
    and it does no good), etc. I do not think those scenarios apply to us

    The network location we are trying to save to is one of the shares on the N
    4 server we have always used for most shared files and which has never been
    problem (including through Office 2003). I gather that some extra securit
    attributes are possibly required now w/ 2007+ that I am guessing may not b
    properly set on my NT 4 shares. I have already verified that they are enable
    for Full Control, and then even set them up with Special Access and grante
    all permissions except Take Ownership

    Does anyone have any insight into what may've changed with Office 2007 an
    perhaps have a vague memory of how these security settings are directly (o
    at all) compatible with NT 4 (as in, pehaps NT 4 does not support th
    permission types that are now required, and thus Office 2007 thinks th
    permissions are denied)

    That's my best guess. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you may have

    For the record, we have loose plans for moving off NT 4 server within th
    next 1-2 years, but frankly, this has been one of the first hard problem
    we have really had with the server software (at least I think that is what i
    is), but if I cannot solve this now, my customer may have to revert to hi
    previous version of Office until we do that.

    Build a Cross-Browser ASP.NET CSS-Only Menu UserControl
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...ce-d17d1b482676/build-a-crossbrowser-asp.aspx

    Ian Maffett, Apr 15, 2010

  3. John Lawler

    Ian Maffett Guest

    Update

    Definitely an MS update from today (automagic updates) - after a shutdown, the other one is acting the same way. Time to get off of NT4... at least here, anyway.

    Updates specified are 4/13 - http://www.microsoft.com/security/updates/bulletins/201004.aspx

    Ian Maffett wrote:

    Same here...
    15-Apr-10

    Might have been a recent update? I have the exact same problem (I know, how many others will we find on NT4?) Stranger yet, however, is the fact that I have 2 XP Pro SP3 boxes with O-2007 Basic where one works just fine... That's got me pulling my hair out - have tried everything I can think of from the MSKB-291204 [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291204]
    to removing Office, cleaning registry of it and reinstalling with no avail. Right now, I am about to do a system restore to the previous checkpoint followed by removing SP3 as a more drastic measure. Not that I want to...
    I'll update
    -Ian

    WPF GridView Sample To Insert, Update, and Delete Records
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...a-c9a46fd3aeb2/wpf-gridview-sample-to-in.aspx

    Ian Maffett, Apr 15, 2010
  4. Same here

    We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

    Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

    Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

    Ian Maffett wrote:

    Update
    15-Apr-10

    Definitely an MS update from today (automagic updates) - after a shutdown, the other one is acting the same way. Time to get off of NT4... at least here, anyway.

    Updates specified are 4/13 - http://www.microsoft.com/security/updates/bulletins/201004.aspx

    IIS 7.0 Extensionless UrlRewriting (Short urls)
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...df-52898c6aa5d7/iis-70-extensionless-url.aspx

    97prelude Weber, Apr 16, 2010
  5. John Lawler

    M Chadders Guest

    You're right. It's the Auto Updates.

    Had the self same issue. NT4 Fileserver, Excel 2007, XP SP2 Client. Couldn't save from Excel or word for that matter. Roled back the updates from the 14 April:

    Security Updates
    KB975561
    KB979683
    KB978338
    KB978601
    KB979309
    KB977816
    KB980232

    Office Updates
    KB981715

    Onenote Update
    KB980729

    IE8 Update
    KB981332

    Publisher Update
    KB980470

    And bingo can now save from Excel. Not ideal by any means and certainly not a long term plan, but to get back up and running it worked for me.

    Best of luck.

    97prelude Weber wrote:

    Same here
    16-Apr-10

    We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

    Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

    Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

    BizTalk: Writing and using a custom referenced functoid.
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...08-71c2b1127e40/biztalk-writing-and-usin.aspx

    M Chadders, Apr 18, 2010
  6. John Lawler

    M Chadders Guest

    You're right. It's the security updates.

[...]

    97prelude Weber wrote:

    Same here
    16-Apr-10

    We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

    Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

    Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

    Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-f54c56a64ed9/get-silverlight-4-install.aspx

    M Chadders, Apr 18, 2010
  7. John Lawler

[...]

    97prelude Weber wrote:

    Same here
    16-Apr-10

    We have the same thing happening, and after trying MANY KB articles, etc, we have no solution.

    Both machines are XP SP3, Office 2007. Both machines auto-updated at 3pm on 4/14, and yesterday after the overnight reboot, the trouble began.

    Microsoft, this one needs some attention quickly! Saving locally and then copying back to the network share is ridiculous!

    WPF Report Engine, Part 2
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...c9-cf3a9ee210a7/wpf-report-engine-part-2.aspx

    M Chadders, Apr 18, 2010
  8. John Lawler

    M Chadders Guest

    Opps, sorry for the multiple posts

    Sorry

    M Chadders wrote:

    You're right. It's the Auto Updates.
    18-Apr-10

[...]

    WPF Reflection Effect
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...-beab-49bd76e20b9b/wpf-reflection-effect.aspx

    M Chadders, Apr 18, 2010
  9. Same problem

    I am having the exact same problem. Is the only solution right now to unistall these security updates, and turn off Automatic updates? Is there a way to fake the computer to think that the perticular security update causing the problem is installed so that Automatic Updates can remain on?

    John Lawler wrote:

[...]

    C# And The Little Iterator That Could
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...32-0ae26adaa533/c-and-the-little-iterato.aspx

    Darrin Jarboe, Apr 19, 2010
  11. RE: Same Problem

    For me uninstalling KB980232 allowed Office 2007 to save to NT Server 4 again.

    Christopher Roberts, Apr 26, 2010
  12. John Lawler

    Luci Guest

    RE: Same Problem

    "Christopher Roberts" wrote:

    > For me uninstalling KB980232 allowed Office 2007 to save to NT Server 4 again.

    Kudos; Christopher you saved me a lot of time.
    if anyone has a better solution let us know but it all tracks out correctly
    time wise and it does fix the problem when you yank that update out

    Luci, May 6, 2010
  13. John Lawler

    Scott Gale Guest

    Same problem here. Problem never came up until yesterday. I had a 9gig SCSI split into two 4095mb sections. It and the OS drive are formatted with FAT. In repartitioning the 9gb drive, I formatted with NTFS and lost the ability to write with Office 2007 to the drive. I tried numerous partitions and variations, also several other small 2gb drives laying around. Short answer at moment is that the only thing office 2007 will write to is the FAT drives.

    Luci wrote:

    "Christopher Roberts" wrote:Kudos; Christopher you saved me a lot of time.
    06-May-10

    "Christopher Roberts" wrote

    Kudos; Christopher you saved me a lot of time
    if anyone has a better solution let us know but it all tracks out correctl
    time wise and it does fix the problem when you yank that update out

    BizTalk: Incorporating conditional If / Else Functoid Logic in a map.
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...0b-bba39e4bbcf0/biztalk-incorporating-co.aspx

    Scott Gale, May 7, 2010