"Do you want to replace the existing Normal?"

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word New Users' started by Larry, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    One of the strangest messages in Word 97 is a message I've gotten
    without warning from time to time, "Do you want to replace the existing
    Normal?" That's all the message says. It doesn't say why Normal ought
    to be replaced or what it's going to be replaced with, or what will
    happen if I don't replace it. I'm simply saving Normal, or closing
    Word, and I get this message. And the funny thing is, even though the
    message seems to be giving me a choice, it's giving me no choice at all.
    If I say no, I'm shown a save as dialog box. If I then save as some
    other name, I'm still not able to save the existing Normal, because I
    get the same message again. So finally I have no choice but to replace
    the existing Normal. Though, once again, what I'm replacing it with,
    and how what I'm doing is different from what I do when I simply save
    changes in Normal, I haven't the foggiest.

    I assume that more recent versions of Word do not have these mysterious
    and ominous error messages.

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Larry

    Annie Guest

    I'm trying to changing the default format which comes up
    in word 2000. I must have saved a letter as the normal
    template and now that letter keeps coming up. All I want
    is a blank page. Any ideas on how to get rid of the
    normal.dot template?

    Annie, Apr 19, 2004

  3. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Larry

    Word Heretic Guest

    G'day "Larry" <>,

    It can be caused by a few things, the best bet is to set your options
    to Not prompting for saving normal.dot. Then it just quietly does it
    in the background.

    Steve Hudson - Word Heretic
    Want a hyperlinked index? S/W R&D? See WordHeretic.com

    Larry reckoned:

    Word Heretic, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Larry

    Larry Guest

    To clarify my first post, when this happened, the setting for "prompt to
    save Normal template" was already turned off.

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Larry

    Beth Melton Guest

    Now Steve, do you also remove the batteries from your smoke detector
    because it goes off every time you burn something on the stove? ;-)

    I don't recommend anyone turn off the prompt to save Normal.dot. If
    you encounter it each time you exit Word then the likely cause is a
    virus or add-in. If it is an add-in then it can exhibit virus-like
    qualities such as over-population of menu items, file bloat, and
    corruption.

    I firmly believe one of the main reasons we see so many cases of
    Normal.dot corruption is due to add-ins. If the add-in creator didn't
    know enough to prevent the prompt to save Normal.dot, then I wouldn't
    trust them to know enough to prevent file corruption or trust the
    modifications the add-in is making.

    Any add-in that modifies the Normal.dot IMHO shouldn't be used.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP

    Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
    MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

    Beth Melton, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Larry

    Beth Melton Guest

    Hi Larry,

    Do you have the SR-1 and SR-2 patches installed? If you recently
    reinstalled Word then you would also need to reinstall the patches.
    Even if you didn't reinstall I've found a few occasions in which Word
    97 stopped recognizing the patches.

    IIRC one of the patches corrected an issue similar to what you
    describe. It has something to do with starting two sessions of Word. I
    do remember it was odd because I encountered it myself and I didn't
    think I was starting more than one Word session.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP

    Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
    MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

    Beth Melton, Apr 21, 2004
  8. Hi Steve,

    With Beth, I disagree, although I'm not sure that "Do you want to replace
    the existing Normal?" is the prompt that can be turned off. Here's my rant:

    I just checked on Word 97 and the message I get from that prompt is:
    "Changes have been made that affect the global template..."

    The message "Changes have been made that affect the global template -
    normal. Do you wish to save those changes?" is an important warning. It
    means that changes have been made, whether you intended to make changes or
    not. You can also get it when your template has been altered by a poorly
    written Add-In program or by a malicious virus.

    The reason for the message being shown repeatedly is almost always a poorly
    written Add-In. The Norton AV Office Plug-In seems to be the most frequent
    offender recently, but that can change as some other poorly written program
    comes on the market.

    Other offenders include the MS Works Suite Add-In, EZ-Photo, Scansoft, Adobe
    Acrobat, and Microsoft's MetaData remover. These all install Add-Ins that
    mess with your normal.dot when they shouldn't do so and don't need to do so.
    Some of these are .dot files, others are installed. See <URL:
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm> for
    instructions on seeing what Add-Ins you have. (Having Add-Ins is not a bad
    thing. I run Word with 15 Add-Ins, most of which I wrote myself.)

    Note to Beth: When I am broiling in the oven and the smoke detector goes
    off, I take out the batteries from the smoke detector. It helps keep me
    sane. (I think.) I put them back in, though, when I'm done cooking. I do
    keep the prompt to save normal.dot option checked, though. (I may have a
    higher tolerance for irritation, though, than Steve does.)
    --

    Charles Kenyon

    Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

    Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

    See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
    from my ignorance and your wisdom.

    Charles Kenyon, Apr 21, 2004
  9. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Hi Beth,

    My Word 97 came with SR-1, I later installed SR-2 and I haven't
    re-installed Word in ages. However, I gather you're suggesting that I
    re-install the SR-2 patch. I guess in order to do that I'd have to
    un-install and re-install Word?

    And, yes, I do occasionally have two instances of Word briefly opened at
    the same time. I generally do this when I need to see what Word is like
    in its pristine state, so I run a shortcut which runs "Winword /a".

    Also, in response to Charles, this is not the familiar message that says
    ""Changes have been made that affect the global template..." This
    message simply said: "Do you want to replace the existing Normal?"
    I've had this message appear just a handful of times in the five years
    I've had Word 97.

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 21, 2004
  10. Larry

    Beth Melton Guest

    Okay, you got me there. <g>

    When I had a smoke detector I'd ~temporarily~ take the batteries out
    too. My thought was more along the lines of, 'taking them out for
    good'.

    I guess I need to rephrase that line for future use. ;-)

    ~Beth Melton

    "Charles Kenyon" <> wrote in
    message news:ejPb%...

    Beth Melton, Apr 21, 2004
  11. Larry

    Beth Melton Guest

    I'd try to reinstall SR-2 without uninstalling Word first.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP

    Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
    MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

    Beth Melton, Apr 21, 2004
  12. Larry

    Word Heretic Guest

    G'day "Beth Melton" <>,

    If one was running a building and a faulty smoke alarm went off every
    week, here in NSW that would cost you a minimum of 2 grand in callout
    fees a month from the fire brigades, who I just happen to work for.
    And yes, the recommendation would be to isolate the faulty alarm until
    you replaced it.

    Unfortunately we don't have this option - replacing it that is - with
    Word. As I can describe a few simple and 'used' ways in which to
    trigger it constantly whilst you are doing NOTHING wrong, it is far
    better to shut it off. Most times this does little harm but stops you
    from clicking unneccesarily on a frequent basis.

    Steve Hudson - Word Heretic
    Want a hyperlinked index? S/W R&D? See WordHeretic.com

    Beth Melton reckoned:

    Word Heretic, Apr 22, 2004
  13. Larry

    Word Heretic Guest

    G'day "Charles Kenyon",

    I'd put money on it ole fella!

    Steve Hudson - Word Heretic
    Want a hyperlinked index? S/W R&D? See WordHeretic.com

    Charles Kenyon reckoned:

    Word Heretic, Apr 22, 2004
  14. Larry

    Beth Melton Guest

    Okay, so the smoke detector analogy wasn't the best. <g>

    My point was turning off the "Prompt to save Normal" can cause more
    harm than good in the long run due to the reasons I provided.

    I agree there are some instances where the prompt can be triggered
    harmlessly but I stand by my statement that if an add-in is the cause
    then it shouldn't be used. At least not allowed to automatically load
    when Word starts but perhaps manually loaded when necessary.

    If you start allowing add-ins to automatically modify your Normal.dot
    each time Word starts then the chances of corruption and various
    issues greatly increase.

    Just take a look at the application.errors newsgroup. I can state with
    99% certainty that the majority of those encountering a corrupt
    Normal.dot or issues with their Normal.dot, also have an add-in that
    modifies the Normal.dot each time Word starts. The "Microsoft Works
    Suite Add-in for Word" has proven this point numerous times.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Beth Melton, Apr 22, 2004
  15. Larry

    Word Heretic Guest

    G'day Beth,

    yeah - that's also a valid point, the flipside is my normal stays
    stable for yonkers, I have everything set 'nicely' and it still wants
    to be petted and saved. Word Happens...

    Additionally, I have renamed Normal before and still had word spazz
    out with a corrupt Normal in no short time. True, I am a developer and
    always doing crazy things with Word. But the point is certain
    combinations of actions can kill normal and it has nothing to do with
    saving it overly regularly - excluding having Fast Saves on of course
    which will kill it rapidly. Example sequence, using a toolbar from a
    global template, mod it from normal context, then from its parent,
    then from normal, then from another template, then from normal again.
    Close Word, move this template elsewhere. Create another toolbar with
    the same name in a global template and repeat. Quit Word, load both
    templates, enjoy. These probably a few caveats in there but when I
    play silly buggers with the toolbar collection programatically and I
    screw up the context, all hell breaks loose rapidly and normal is dead
    again.

    As for add-ins - if they create / destroy commandbars which is a
    popular novice technique that isn't dangerous then you can get this
    behaviour. Etc. Hell, a loose style definition in the body of the
    document could cause it :)

    Word Heretic, Apr 23, 2004
  16. Larry

    Beth Melton Guest

    Hi Steve,

    Well... for those who do crazy things in Word that behavior could be
    expected. <g>

    One item I don't understand in your post though, what is a 'loose
    style definition in the body of the document' and how could it cause
    corruption in Normal.dot??

    Beth Melton, Apr 24, 2004
  17. Larry

    Word Heretic Guest